Cows milk substitute?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Just wondering...
I've cut gluten from my diet trying to maybe get my epilepsy under control and eventually get of medication all together.:woot:
I understand that the milk is high in Glutamine, and am trying to get of dairy as well. I was wondering what would be a good Milk substitute, I tried Rice Milk and I can't say I'm a fan :( Is Goats Milk okay? Or I saw lactose free milk in the supermarket, does removing the Lactose make a difference?

Realize that glutamine is an amino acid and not the same as gluten. Also, if the issue is gluten then I don't know of any connection to lactose or milk.

I know that Glutamine isn't the same as gluten sorry, I should've said that I've read that foods with Glutamine in it can also be a trigger for seizures which is why I would like to try and cut it from my diet as well as gluten. Not that I though that Glutamine and Gluten were the same thing, sorry should've clarified a bit :)

I don't know about the glutamine content of these but here are some suggestions:

--coconut milk (I like it because it is thicker than some of the others, you can get it sweetened or unsweetened)

--hemp milk (never tried it)

--almond milk (I thought it was pretty good)

--oat milk (did not care for)

--soy milk (would not touch...too many issues with it)

My son's both have a cow's milk allergy and we give them soy milk as a substitute. No idea about the glutamine levels in it. I'm pretty sure lactose is one of the sugars in the milk so I wouldn't think that would make any difference. Rice milk is perfectly good if you are using it in cooking, you can't tell any difference. Speaking from experience ruling out everything with cow's milk in is quite difficult, especially if you are also going to rule out soy, it has taken us a long time to be able find enough variety for the boys as well as being mindful of nutrients so best of luck. For 3 years our son couldn't have cow's milk or soy and it left very little for him to have. I don't know of any issues with soy milk unless you are drinking the genetically modified stuff which in Australia has to be clearly marked if any of the contents exceeds a certain level.

Most soy in the US are GM...but I'm sure your can find non-GM soy products. I can't recommend any brands since we steer clear.

Soy is high in estrogen-like compounds. I would limit the amount used. I think the fermented soy products don't have this issue (but not 100% sure...research if interested).

Rebecca drinks Rice milk, we buy goat cheese, but use it sparingly, and we choose coconut yogurt. Since not having cow milk for about 3 yrs, when Rebecca does have something with it in it, she has intestinal distress.

Thankyou all for your input.

I'm using Rice milk at the moment I think it's the texture it doesn't feel the same. But I think it could be because it's something new. Maybe I just need to give myself time to adjust...
And there are sooooo many different options when you go shopping it's hard to know what's okay and what's not :dontknow:

And there are sooooo many different options when you go shopping it's hard to know what's okay and what's not :dontknow:

I always read the ingredients and was amazed at how many of these "milks" in the health section of the supermarket had sugar as their 2nd or 3rd ingredient. Rice milk was one of the few that didn't.

I always read the ingredients and was amazed at how many of these "milks" in the health section of the supermarket had sugar as their 2nd or 3rd ingredient. Rice milk was one of the few that didn't.

It's actually interesting reading the ingredients on a lot of those 'health foods' are lot of them are not that healthy, it adds to the frustration.

I like the So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk the best. It is thick and creamy, naturally sweet (but only 1g of carbs, 0 sugar). The ingredients are pretty simple: organic coconut milk (organic coconut cream, water, guar gum) plus the added vitamins and minerals. That is it! It is non-GMO and certified gluten-free, too.

Perhaps try going without milk for a few months see if you feel better.

I am lactose intolerant. I usually use soy milk. You can find unsweetened soy milk. I am on South Beach Diet. No sugar and carbs must be whole grain products.

I usually add a packet of spenda to a glass of unsweetened soy milk.

Coconut milk is tasty but is very rich. It is too rich for me to drink straight. But you can mix it with soy milk to get a nice drink richer than soymilk, but not too rich to drink. I use it more of a substitute for cream that a substitute for milk. It is good in hot chocolate or if fruit smoothies. I will also sometimes use it for baking.

You can also try adding a little bit of it to a glass of soymilk.

Non dairy coffee creamer also works good as a substitute for cream. Most is really high in sugar, but there is some without sugar. The ones without sugar have a lot of artificial sweetener. You can add a little to soymilk or other non dairy milk to make it taste better. I have made some very tasty rich deserts using non dairy coffee creamer.

I've been using the coconut milk/almond milk combo put out by the "Breeze" brand. I use it in tea or coffee, on cereal, in smoothies, etc...

I have tried all of them I think. I can't do soy because of the estrogens and other health issues. Depending on the use I love the unsweetened coconut (learned by accident it makes awesome faux whip cream in the blender) and the unsweetened vanilla almond is just yummy!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom