Current neurologist refusing MRI

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

skyfire322

Stalwart
Reaction score
At my latest appointment with my current neurologist, I had asked him if an MRI would be something to look into as I have only had one when I was diagnosed, and just to make sure all of the bases were covered.

He said that it is pointless to do one, since I have generalized epilepsy and that the four EEG's he has done in two years were sufficient enough evidence. I'm scratching my head because my auras are ever strengthening, and my seizures aren't responding TOO well with the current regimen of medicines I'm on.

I'm getting a second opinion in a couple weeks, so I'm curious. Should I ask the epileptologist that I'm going to see the same question? And for those who have had MRI's, does that show things that can't be picked up on a regular EEG?

Does not seem unreasonable. When I switched doctors the second one immediately wanted a new mri.

In the next few months we will be doing a second MRI for my daughter because her epilepsy is worsening. Her first MRI was just over a year ago, when she was first diagnosed, but her neurologist thinks that there could definitely be changes between then and now. If it's been more than 2 years since your last MRI and your symptoms are increasing, I think a new MRI is definitely a good idea.

An MRI and an EEG show very different things. An EEG measures electrical activity in in the brain and an MRI looks for structural abnormalities. That said, I'm not sure if an MRI would be needed or not, but since you have a fairly recent one for a baseline the docs would be able to determine if there have been any physical changes in your brain.

skyfire322

As arnie said they are two completely different things and like he pointed out the MRI shows structural abnormalities. When you do your first MRI it is used as a guide, a second one is usually done in 12 months time and they are compared after that it is usually ever 2 or 3 years one is done. One reason for an MRI can be to help in deciding if you are a suitable candidate for surgery.

Thanks for all the responses! My last MRI was about nine years ago or so, so I think it may be wise. A few nurses that I have talked to are actually very surprised that an MRI hasn't been done already.

That does seem a very long time between MRIs.

As knothing said, whenever I see a new doc they usually like to do their own round of tests, so it wouldn't seem unreasonable to ask for a new one.

The the quality of the technology used in the scanners has increased over the years and a new one may show abnormalities undetected in the original ones.

Back
Top Bottom