Dan Millman's "The Way of the Peaceful Warrior"

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bernard

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
Dan Millman's [ame]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=projectmana0a-20&path=tg/detail/-/0915811898/ref=ase_projectmana0a-20?v=glance&s=books[/ame] appears to be the original source for a story which my older brother told me several years ago and I found very insightful. I'll paraphrase:
An old man and his son worked a small farm, with only one horse to pull the plough. One day the horse ran away.

"How terrible," sympathised the neighbours. "What bad luck".

"Oh well", the farmer replied.

A week later, the horse returned from the mountains, leading five wild mares into the barn.

"What wonderful luck!" said the neighbours.

"Oh well", answered the old man.

The next day, the son, trying to tame one of the horses, fell and broke his leg.

"How terrible, what bad luck!" said the neighbours.

The local warlord sent the army to all the farms to conscript all able bodied young men for war. The farmer's son was of no use to them, so he was spared.

"What wonderful luck!" said the neighbours.

You just never know how what you perceive as a tragedy :cry: may eventually become a blessing :).

Back
Top Bottom