Dealing with Navy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

CryptoRay

New
Reaction score
Hi, I recently just became intuitive about Epilepsy again since I hit my 2 year mark in the Navy. The reason I come here is I was diagnosed as having epilepsy after I had a seizure in the Navy over a year ago. The rules are that you have to go through a med board but things about the Navy are never thorough and my diagnoses wasn't thorough as well. I had a seizure after what they call "intense provocation" (super heavy drinking, lack of sleep ,depressed,and slacking in the health department at the time) and they have ran every test possible, EEG,EKG,CAT scan , MRI, sleep deprivation, photosensitivity, the works essentially. All my test have came back negative for anything abnormal. The process is supposed to be about 6-9 months, well it's been a a year and half . Medically, by defintion cleared to deploy If have to according to my medical records I have access to. I want to say the seizures are related to high school football, when we was encouraged to have head on collisions and I happen to be good at it (I know, the school would be scolded if that occurred now) and they only occured while I was playing linebacker ONLY.
Well recently I got back into better shape then before and legitemately feel better. I also read that keto helps but that wasn't intentional so I don't know if that is a reason for me being alright without medication. Anyone else on here went through a med board? Can you offer information to help on my appeal process , if need be? Do you think I should even bother with the appeal?
It's not whether I want to be in the Navy but I need to be in , an issue many servicemembers run into . We somewhat became dependent on the military due to the unique nature of our lifestyle and when that is ripped from you, you dont have much left to work with because of this bubble we're in (like Obamacare doesn't affect us, so none of us care if it's good or bad; for example).

TL;DR In the Navy , going through a med board , need advice on the appeal process because I am trying to fight it. This is my lively hood, and I need this, not forever but a couple more years.

The international league against epilepsy recently put out a new definition/ classification of epilepsy that might be beneficial to you.

http://www.epilepsy.com/article/2014/4/revised-definition-epilepsy

A person is considered to have epilepsy if they meet any of the following conditions.
1.At least two unprovoked (or reflex) seizures occurring greater than 24 hours apart.
2.One unprovoked (or reflex) seizure and a probability of further seizures similar to the general recurrence risk (at least 60%) after two unprovoked seizures, occurring over the next 10 years.
3.Diagnosis of an epilepsy syndrome ◦Epilepsy is considered to be resolved for individuals who had an age-dependent epilepsy syndrome but are now past the applicable age or those who have remained seizure-free for the last 10 years, with no seizure medicines for the last 5 years.

Would you be able for service if you had a rare food allergy which caused seizures?

Back
Top Bottom