[Research] Deep Brain Stim reduce seizures as much as 50%

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

suebear

Veteran
Reaction score
Short paragraph taken from article:

Deep brain stimulation (DBS) has been called “a promising therapy for epilepsy,” as reported by the BBC. According to the article, it’s designed for the considerable number of patients suffering from medically refractory epilepsy who are not candidates for resective brain surgery. This seizure-interrupting device, also called a responsive neurostimulator system, is for those with temporal lobe epilepsy, bi-temporal epilepsy, and neocortical epilepsy. Similar to the VNS, it’s minimally invasive and consists of implanting tiny electrodes in the brain that release electrical pulses, reducing the frequency of partial seizures and secondarily generalized seizures.

Link to article:
https://epilepsytalk.com/2016/07/21/deep-brain-stimulation-reducing-seizures-by-as-much-as-50/

As with any surgery(speaking from experience), there ARE risks to consider, too. I prefer reading about it from the real pros at Mayo Clinic:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/deep-brain-stimulation/details/risks/cmc-20156104

Risks

Although deep brain stimulation is generally safe, any type of surgery has the risk of complications. Also, the brain stimulation itself may cause side effects.

Surgery risks

Deep brain stimulation involves creating small holes in the skull to implant the electrodes, and surgery to implant the device that contains the batteries under the skin in the chest. Complications of surgery may include:

Bleeding in the brain
Stroke
Infection
Breathing problems
Nausea
Heart problems
Seizures
Possible side effects after surgery

Side effects associated with deep brain stimulation may include:

Seizure
Infection
Headache
Confusion
Stroke

Possible side effects of stimulation

Numbness or tingling sensations
Muscle tightness of the face or arm
Speech problems
Balance problems
Lightheadedness
Unwanted mood changes, such as mania and depression

may want to speak with your neuro surgeon... I've gone through the process. :twocents:

That sounds intresting I talk to my nuro about this

I can not see how this enables athletes in Olympic to do better.It is said some Russians been using brain stimulation how do it work make you sprint better

That sounds intresting I talk to my nuro about this

I can not see how this enables athletes in Olympic to do better.It is said some Russians been using brain stimulation how do it work make you sprint better

as to how it can make a person better I can only speak personally. I've had the device since 2011 and since then I have been able to rebuild my alertness and cognitive strength because the DBS has given me back the ability to do so. How this has happened is the DBS has provided me the ability to drop high medication dosages because I am no longer experiencing the large seizure numbers I was prior to the device which were 4 to 5 a day.

The stimulants that athletes use are "drugs", steroids, not something that is placed inside the body via surgery. :roll:
Kinda reminds me of my son getting his allergy shots when he was growing up. Except they were not to build him up, but to keep him going. And sometimes he received steroid shots because of his terrible breathing, asthma problems.

And this is what the Deep Brain Stimulator looks like:

http://www.medtronic.com/innovation/images/panels/dbs-lead.jpg

Last edited:
The stimulants that athletes use are "drugs", steroids, not something that is placed inside the body via surgery. :roll:
Kinda reminds me of my son getting his allergy shots when he was growing up. Except they were not to build him up, but to keep him going. And sometimes he received steroid shots because of his terrible breathing, asthma problems.

And this is what the Deep Brain Stimulator looks like:

http://www.medtronic.com/innovation/images/panels/dbs-lead.jpg

As I've stated to you I have this device implanted or are you not reading?

I'm done with this thread. I've provided information to research and it is up to you and your neurologist and neurosurgeon to further speak to one another and find out what is good for YOUR health. I am not a medical doctor. I am only providing what news and information that has been found on the Internet from a DBS group which I am a part of. Good day.

Thanks for the update, Sue. Are they rebranding this as "Deep Brain Stimulator" (DBS), or is it still called the Responsive Neurostimulator System (RNS)?

Thanks for the update, Sue. Are they rebranding this as "Deep Brain Stimulator" (DBS), or is it still called the Responsive Neurostimulator System (RNS)?

The Deep Brain Stimulation device is a device made by Medtronic specifically for Parkinsons Disease and it will always be used for PD first and foremost. Epilepsy has fallen into the train of thought by accident as most other issues have. The best example I have been able to provide others has been when my case came about was in 2011 when the Vagus Nerve Stimulator wore out at Level 5 because it could not handle my type of seizures taking place and I was having four to five seizures a day. The neurosurgeon suggested we attempt moving onto the Deep Brain Stimulator because research was showing it to be working due to the 64 settings instead of the 32 which the VNS has.

On another note, the RNS is a totally different device that has been created by Neuropace. Here is that link http://www.neuropace.com/ This device was also discussed but the Deep Brain Stimulator was the best choice because of my Hippocampus being cut into from a prior brain surgery that took place in 1995. As it was explained, too much memory would be lost and that was too high of a risk for taking. The DBS was also a better option as the research was showing better impact on control of seizures over time.

I am more than happy to provide specifics if needed, just ask and will do my best to answer. =)
Regards,
Sue

Back
Top Bottom