Deep breathing improves VNS results

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Several components contribute to the profound influence of deep breathing upon the nervous system.

One of the chief connections between the respiratory and nervous systems is the vagus nerve. Since the vagus nerve carries information from the body to the brain, deep breathing makes a lot of sense. Because it stimulates the vagus nerve, bringing balance between the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems.

So, the longer you exhale (through pursed lips), the longer the vagus is stimulated and the greater impact it can have.

Resources:

Alan S. Keller, M.D., Psychiatry

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1844469/stress_relief_is_but_a_breath_away.html?cat=5

http://biologyofkundalini.com/article.php?story=vivalavagus

I have a VNS and I have aura's of different lengths before seizures and I have noticed that sometimes I can chase away the seizure before it really kicks in full force with deep breathing. I didn't realize that it was working with the VNS I just thought it was because my brain was getting more oxygen at the right time.

Actually, you're right on both counts because deep breathing affects the sympathetic and the parasympathetic nervous systems!

Any correlation between deep breathing techniques and the VNS are purely speculative as far as I know. I have not seen any studies showing that deep breathing improves VNS results as posited in the thread title.

Any correlation between deep breathing techniques and the VNS are purely speculative as far as I know. I have not seen any studies showing that deep breathing improves VNS results as posited in the thread title.

I agree. I have the VNS also and haven't had any improvement with deep breathing and results of the VNS. Mine is on rapid cycling, therefore, I get short of breath quicker than usual and have difficulty with deep breathing.

I don't think that article was referring to the Vagus Nerve Stimulator, just the vagus nerve that we all have in out bodies.

Last edited:
Clint, you're quite right. In addresseing the vagus nerves being affected, I assumed the efficacy of the vagus nerve stimulator too. Thanks for your edification...

Deep breathing exercises has it's advantages. It calms and reduces stress. I've even taught my daughter to use deep breathing to control her temper and at 9 years of age, even she sees the benefits.

I have searched for the past 2 days for ANY studies in regards to deep breathing or yoga and the VNS Therapy System and have not found one. What I did find is these 2 articles literally spammed everywhere and then I found several original articles beginning in the 1980's which has been periodically rehashed and rewritten. In the earlier versions "vns" was referred to as the vagas nerve stimulation, somewhere later on in the last couple of years it was changed to VNS Therapy System.

Remember the "Secret" game we played as kids? The class sat in a circle, and the first person whispered a secret to the next person and that person told the next and so on until the last person heard it and he said it out loud. The last version was no where near like the the original secret.

It's kind of like that. Now I could be mistaken and I challenge anyone to find ANY independent study on deep breathing/yoga and VNS Therapy System. Prove me wrong, and I'll make you a batch of killer brownies.

Just for your information; VNS Therapy System has a laundry list of side effects to the respiratory system,

Aspiration (fluid in the lungs)
Choking sensation
Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing)
Hiccuping
Laryngeal irritation (sore, painful throat)
Left hemidiaphragm paralysis
Left recurrent laryngeal nerve injury
Muscle pain
Worsening of asthma and bronchitis
Worsening of cardiac abnormalities, including heart rate and rhythm

Just to name those most listed.

To perform any breathing exercises with any one of these side effects would almost be impossible. I know for a fact as I have experienced several of them myself as does many of those who are implanted. And to even attempt deep breathing during stimulation of the generator is impossible. Some people are lucky just to be able to talk!

Sorry but in my book, this is misinformation.:soap:

Just for your information; VNS Therapy System has a laundry list of side effects to the respiratory system,

Aspiration (fluid in the lungs)
Choking sensation
Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing)
Hiccuping
Laryngeal irritation (sore, painful throat)
Left hemidiaphragm paralysis
Left recurrent laryngeal nerve injury
Muscle pain
Worsening of asthma and bronchitis
Worsening of cardiac abnormalities, including heart rate and rhythm

Just to name those most listed.

These side effects are listed in the booklet that is given along with the installation of the VNS, at least it was when I had the 2 VNS surgeries. I have had a few wheezing difficulties also with my VNS, one time had to be rushed to the hospital to get a breathing treatment, but for me it stops the TC seizures, which have deadly side effects! I have ugly burn scars from my 1st TC seizure years ago, so would rather choose to wheeze once in a while than suffer more serious injuries due to bad seizures. Plus I had another 3rd degree burn accident on my hand 2 weeks ago, due to a seizure while I was cooking. The surgeon at the Burn Clinic told me he had 3 other burn patients at the hospital due to accidents from seizures. I'd rather be safe than sorry!

I know you have success with VNS Therapy and that is wonderful, I know lots do, but my point has nothing to do with success or failure. My point was linking VNS Therapy to the threads about yoga/deep breathing. There are no studies to support this. Somewhere a couple of years ago, someone has taken the liberty of altering the original meaning of vns in the topic.

It happens ALL the time. Even though the internet is a terrific place for information, sometimes the internet is also a great place for deception.

Just keep in mind the old adage...if it sounds too good to be true, than it probably is.

And so you don't feel too bad, I am guilty of not source check on occasion, my son nailed me on an email story just last week! This is also another way of stopping false information and correcting it. Articles that don't have citations to studies or origins, really need to be scrutinized. But since my forte is VNS Therapy, this really caught my attention. So how about I make those brownies and just share them with everyone who has ever been misled.

brownies.jpg

Birdbomb
It happens ALL the time. Even though the internet is a terrific place for information, sometimes the internet is also a great place for deception.
So would that also apply to some of the alternative therapies? :ponder:
And some of the wonder drugs the pharmaceutical companies advertise? :ponder:

All are great at deception, sometimes they sound too good to be true!

Just my :twocents:.

Birdbomb
So would that also apply to some of the alternative therapies? :ponder:
And some of the wonder drugs the pharmaceutical companies advertise? :ponder:

All are great at deception, sometimes they sound too good to be true!

Just my :twocents:.

88b3a476.jpg

The nice thing about support message boards such as CWE, they are self-policing. Members are posting information that they find knowing that at some point it will help other members and this is great. But members will also make corrections of mis-information. No matter if it's right or wrong, we are helping each other, and that's is what it's all about. When I searched out citations I came across other information very useful to me so even if it wasn't accurate, I benefited from it. Thanks Phylis!

Also I'd to make an apology to Phylis if I came off too abruptly. Being uncouth is a trait I have not been able to lose.
d1fda7f2.gif

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of science. There's lots of stuff where there's been no research and we just have to depend on anecdotal evidence - stories from fellow members. But there's lots of things were there ARE studies, and whenever someone posts them I'm grateful. We can't all know the latest on everything, so when someone pulls up studies it's GREAT.

What happens often times is urban legends grow, or only people where something aparently worked post, and the all rest where it didn't work don't post. And we all know that correlation doesn't mean causation. (In other words, if someone got well it could be something other than a treatment they started at the time. The only way to tell for sure if something works and is safe is a study.)

I know I've posted a few studies in here, too, which directly debunk something a member has posted. So if I've been to abrupt, too, I know you'll forgive me along with Birdbomb.

:banana:

Back
Top Bottom