Diagnosis, Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome AND Neuropathy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Diagnosis: Well, just got back. I went to the Neurologist this morning and he explained how he was going to do the test. He attached these little pads to my leg in various spots and said he was going to give me little electric shocks and after that, he was going to put a needle in two muscles in my leg. He said he was going to do it before he did it so I knew to expect it. They didn’t hurt at all, just felt weird.

He gave a little bigger one on my upper calf and that made my leg jump. The tinier one’s made my leg twitch a little. After that was finished, he said he was going to put a needle in my muscle like a acupuncture needle and that one he put in the calf muscle and that one wasn’t so bad but then he put another one in the muscle on the BOTTOM of my foot. When he did that, my leg came up about a foot off the table, that hurt a lot but only on the initial poke.

With the first needle, he asked me to push against his hand with my foot and I did.

He had sound on and when I pushed against his hand, it made this sound almost like static like when a radio isn’t on a station and he also had me with the second needle in my foot, had me spread my toes and the sound was even louder. The electric shocks weren’t bad and first needle wasn’t bad but the second one, WOW.

Anyway, he said that I do have Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome but it was only minimal, HOWEVER, he ALSO said that I have Neuropathy, which is why I’ve been having the vibrations in my foot and it’s significant. It goes all the way up my leg.

He said it can be caused by several things, injury, disease, infection. He ordered bloodwork and is going to test me for things like Lyme disease, that can cause Neuropathy and he said he’s goind to test my enzyme levels and protein levels as well. With Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome, treatments can include medicines, physical therapy or surgery.

And depending on the cause of the Neuropathy, that can be treated too and “maybe” reverse the condition, depending on the severity of it and what caused it. I go back to see him on April 4th to see what the results are and discuss options from there. He also mentioned the possibility of doing a spinal tap to see if there’s infection or if that can be part of the problem. YIKES, I hope not, I know those hurt like a sledge hammer being smashed on your foot. Lol. I think he’s going to test for other things with the bloodwork too but don’t recall what he said but that’s the gist of it. I’ll let you know what happens when I know on the 4th.

Last edited:
Anyone ever have a Spinal Tap? I'm thinking he might want one. If it hurts more than the needle in my foot, then I really dread it. If my foot had come up any higher, I might have hit him in the face accidentally. lol

Back
Top Bottom