Did you take time off work when your child was diagnosed with Epilepsy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Haywoman

New
Reaction score
Hello,
My three year old daughter was just diagnosed with epilepsy. She had her first seizure two years ago and has had several since. She has been prescribed ethosuximide (zarontin). I haven't started her on it yet, and I have been thinking that I really want to be with her for the first little while that she starts taking the drug. This would require me taking some time off work. I was just wondering if other people did the same, and if this is a reasonable request. It just seems crazy to expect a daycare to monitor all of the things that I, as her mother will need/want to be on top of. I'd appreciate thoughts and experiences from others. Thanks.

I am currently turning down a job because my 14-year-old is coming off meds but has started new symptoms of what might be seizures again so meds might be going back up. I can understand your frustration with having to deal with a daycare situation. I think honestly it depends on how good your daycare is or how many kids they watch besides your child.

My reasoning for not wanting to take a job just offered to me is because it is too far away and my husband works at least 90 minutes to 2.5 hours away depending on traffic. My daughter also gets migraines and with the new stress of seizures, it could trigger them again.

I would suggest if your daycare is small, on top of things normally, I would talk to them and see what they say first. If their answers are negative then that might be a reason or try to find one that is willing to work with you in keeping an eye on her. We were quite lucky that our daughter didn't have many side effects to her medication. Her only main side effect was it made her gain some weight the first year but since no problems. She is on Trileptal though so not same med.

I communicate with all my daughter's school teachers, dance instructors and anyone she is spending time with so that they know. Sometimes all it takes is educating them and having open commincation with them and for the most part I always get "thank you for letting me know, I will keep an eye out" or something to that effect.

Hope you can get it figured out. Good luck!!

Hi krismutt! Thank you for your thoughts. I have decided to go ahead and take the time off, regardless. I just feel like this is one of those times where I should not feel guilty about putting my family first. I think you gave some good advice and I will definitely keep it in mind as we navigate this new world. Thanks!

You are not along and you are not crazy. I totally understand your fraustration cause I am same.

Good luck to your baby.

I hope we all be fine.

Help

Hi krismutt,

I have just discovered that my 9 year old daughter just randomly laughs. She had 2 absence seizures since. Laughing has been going on for the past 4 weeks. We are waiting to see the neurologist. It's hard to get am appointment . I am so scared. Her symptoms look like that of your daughter. I don't know what to do. Help please.

Hey Stefyrox, hang in there. and keep pushing for an appointment. I hope you and your daughter can see the neurologist soon. And epilepsy diagnosis can sound frightening, but getting a diagnosis sooner rather than later is a good thing. And the more information you have the easier it can be cope with.

:hugs:

Back
Top Bottom