Differences between Seizures and Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Morning all. =)

Howcast.com thew out this video to the interwebs and it's about 3mins of two people talking about the basic differences between Seizures and Epilepsy. I at first was kind of excited to see people talking about it, but then when they were talking, I got frustrated because it contradicted what my Neurologist had defined as Epilepsy for me. So this video gives me mixed emotions because it just feels like Epilepsy is just used so differently from expert to expert.
What do you guys think?

Video link:
[ame]http://youtu.be/NyVj4ferPCw[/ame]

Its a bit like a puppet show, my turn your turn etc, was really a bunch of useless basic information that doesn't describe anything in particular!, all I got from that is you can have norm mri eeg, and epilepsy is 2 or more seizures, which you get told right at the start

Yeah,i was told by my doc after my second seizure i was most probally epileptic,and put on medication then had an eeg (etc) which confirmed it.But i know someone else who had a seizure a good few years back,but has been fine ever since,so it has been written off as a one off thing.

Yeah, I was under the impression that 2 or more 'unprovoked' seizures meant you were "epileptic" even if you didn't catch the wave on the EEG.

What no one could answer for me was...if my first was a cluster of 3 seizures, did that count right off the bat as "two" or "just one"?

you guys are all right - 2 or more unprovoked (no known cause) seizures is generally diagnosed as epilepsy. from my understanding these '2' are tonic clonic seizures, whether secondary generalized or not.
i would bet this has a lot to do with when we start having smaller seizures such as partials or absence, it takes them awhile to confirm an actual seizure instead of other mental/neurological issue that by the time they diagnose it's past two. or well past two.
but 2 t.c.'s without cause - that's epilepsy. coming from two neuros, an epileptologist, and a number of epilepsy sites/articles i really would take it to the bank.

i think some neuros are in it for the drug money and will see whatever they're in the mood for that day. a lot of us on here have had one like that :(

me too crash - was told my first was a one-off, from too much partying, than a few months later had a second one for no reason and bang - you have epilepsy.

chargingbird

I agree with you, but it aint like that :( , I clustered spent two days in hospital, was back there a week later having clustered again then they decided with meds.

Back
Top Bottom