[Info] dilantin side affects

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

cat lover

New
Reaction score
has anyone had the side affect from dilantin that causes memory loss,your gait [walking ] & balance . the dilantin attacks the cerebellar & cerebellum in the brain. it also causes dizziness when doing different things.

thanks

has anyone had the side affect from dilantin that causes memory loss,your gait [walking ] & balance . the dilantin attacks the cerebellar & cerebellum in the brain. it also causes dizziness when doing different things.

thanks
Dilantin I was on that all the way through school and it erased my memory, and I was lucky to have finished shool. When I came off Dilantin after like 26 years my memory came flooding back.I now have a great memory which my docs are surprised at because of all the meds I take.

dilantin

thats great news!!! im told by a neo dr. that the dilantin is causing memory,gait[walking]& balance problems. im told it will never be normal again. lets see. they havent changed my dilantin yet.

thanks for your info

cat lover;
Re long term use of Dilantin:

First of all, I've been on Dilantin for 36 years.

My balance has been effected severely by this drug as well as my gait, short term memory and mood swings.
I'm constantly tripping and/or losing by balance, lost my drivers license about 10 yrs ago due to my poor judgement and jerky movements on the brake or eccellerator.

Constantly getting dizzy, can't look upward or to the sides without holding on to something.

Apathy was definitely happening and led to carpel tunnel surgery in both wrists about 10 yrs ago (my Neurologist says it's from long term use of Dilantin) and now I'm scheduled to have carpel tunnel surgery again, this time in both elbows. So it has shrunk my cerebellum, however, on the other side of that, it is 95% controlling my seizures and if I were to change MEDS, my seizures could come back, possibily more frequently and more severe.

Most of the new anti-epileptic drugs have not been out long enough to be tested for long term effects, it could be worse, that's the payoff.

Back
Top Bottom