Do your seizures change?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bindi

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I haven't been on here in a while. I've been meaning to come back here and talk/ask about this but I'm a procrastinator and I also have the world's worst memory. Lol so here it is...

My grand mals (I called those 'the big ones') have been taken care of by the medicine but I consistently have been having, what I called 'the little ones'. Well, the little ones seem to consistently change.
My family and friends used to be able to know right away, when I was having them as I would slightly slur while talking and make no sense at all. They could ask me who the president was and I'd say Obama Sin Laden or Barrack Osama. (Slurred) They'd ask me if I'm having a seizure and I'd immediately say, "What's a seizure?" (Slurred) Everything was jumbled, mixed up and backwards. You could definitely tell I was having a seizure, according to them. But then gradually, my slur completely went away and according to friends and family, I started trying to get calculated and trying to outsmart people. Almost trying to fake that I wasn't having a seizure. For them, it got 'slightly' more difficult to tell if I was having a seizure because instead of answering their questions like a moron, I'd answer some of them right. (Some) What it sort of came down to was that they could not ask me the president anymore because somehow I trained my brain to answer right...and not to ask me yes or no things because I'd usually answer them right. Like the big question, "Are you having a seizure?" I'd say no! And they say instead of talking monotoned, I'd even use the right voice inflections like, 'How dare you ask me such a stupid thing!!' And I'd throw them off with the voice inflections. Lol

Going forward...they changed again. When I have one during a conversation, my new thing is now a select group of words. Words that I seem to use to again...throw people off and make it appear like I'm still 'in the conversation' and totally intrigued with what they are saying. Apparently, I spout out the words, "What?!?" (in a shocking gasp, like 'oh-no-you-didn't') and then..."Ohhhhh" (in a realization tone) and then..."Really." (in a tone like, 'OMG that's horrible') and finally..."Ok!" (in a tone like, 'let's fix this, I can help you) and what's really funny is that I sound genuine at first...until I start repeating it. Lol Then I'm a dead giveaway. Lol

Going forward again...I still do the above things I mentioned but now I also laugh. They say I usually laugh this mundane fake sounding laugh in the beginning, (it's not long) it's usually at an inappropriate time in the conversation, then I roll into my weird 'whats, reallys, etc'. Anyway, I feel like this laugh is creepy, it's been going on a few months now. I started googling laughing and seizures and all I could find is this:

(Oops, it says I haven't been around long enough to post links even though I been here three years? Anyway....the link was about Gelastic Seizures)

I don't know if that's the same thing though. I don't think it is? I generally don't remember my seizures afterwards. Or they are hazy...and the laughing is subdued, not uncontrolled like that article describes. Part of me wonders if there is something wrong but part of me wonders if it's just something I am doing because I love to laugh and perhaps it is showing in my seizures? I am a very positive person. I try to not let bad things get me down but I just thought I'd throw it out there, for opinions. I can't get to my Epileptologist for a while and even when I do, he doesn't seem to do much for me so I come here to you guys. (He is my third!) It seems like you get better opinions around others that live it.

So what do you think? Have any of you experienced this? The mild changing of seizures? The weird laughing? Any opinions?

Thanks for looking at my :brain:

Yup, seizures can change -- both over time and in response to medication.

Typically gelastic seizures feature a kind of fixed smile or smirk, and the laughing can sound forced. Sometimes there's a vacant look and/or the pupils are dilated. The seizures are associated with a sense of fear or loss of control (rather than delight). Does this sound like what's happening with yours? Ask your friends for their take on what's happening.

Either way, it sounds like you're currently having complex partials -- you have some awareness, even perhaps enough to "fake it", but not enough to fully control what comes out. And your memory of what has occurred is impaired.

These symptoms are cause for concern, particularly if they are becoming more frequent or lasting longer. When you next see your neuro (hopefully sooner rather than later), let him know what's happening, and ask about whether a medication adjustment would help.

Hmmm, ok...according to my hubby and friends, the 'laugh' is just like a typical fake laugh, as if someone is faking laughing to something that's not really funny. Lol I'll ask them to take a look at my pupils though.

I actually just started a medication change due to Topamax giving me kidney stones. Hopefully Lamictal will work out.

Thanks for the response, Nakamova. I appreciate it. ;)

Back
Top Bottom