Doctor is away for a week

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

cw2018

New
Reaction score
I have a brief question regarding medication experiences and seizure control.

My neurologist is away for a week due to family illness.

I have been prescribed an AED called Trileptal for partial epilepsy. They said it would take 2-3 weeks to control my seizures, and I have been on it for almost a week now. I have noticed a gradual but dramatic reduction in all seizure types as time progresses.

The doc said it would calm me also, maybe. However, as each seizure disappears and I have less and less, the more unhinged I become.

I have racing thoughts and irritability, anxiety and obsessive thoughts. I have strange, schizophrenic-like thoughts as well. But no hallucinations. On self-reflection, I feel as if I am experiencing a mania-like set of symptoms. These occurred the first day intensely, euphoria as if they put all of the hospitals opiates in my IV (I am being humorous; they did not do this). This medicine they said was for Bipolar disorder as well and that it may calm me, but it is doing quite the opposite, while controlling my seizures very well. In other words, the psychiatric use the med is non-existent for me just epilepsy-control. As the latter improves, the former does not.

I spoke to my pharmacist, and she and I came up with a solution in the form of a B6 supplement she sells which can be dissolved in water. We determined a good dose, and I am much calmer after I drink it. I refrain from any mind-altering substance like caffeine. I am practicing good sleep hygiene and relaxation.

For relaxation I listen to random numbers being repeated for hours on a loop. It relaxes me like nothing else. I love numbers and foreign languages and learning numbers in foreign languages. I taught English for years.

In the opinions of some of you, is this reaction to medicine normal? Some of the pharmacist resources seem to think so. But I thought I would ask. My doctor's office said that I need to give it a few more weeks and that this may happen.

Thanks,

CW

This medicine they said was for Bipolar disorder as well and that it may calm me, but it is doing quite the opposite, while controlling my seizures very well. In other words, the psychiatric use the med is non-existent for me just epilepsy-control. As the latter improves, the former does not.
It might well be a side effect that goes away after your brain gets used to the med. When I first went on Lamictal (which is also prescribed for bipolar) I was quite hyped up -- high energy, a bit obsessive (doing things like organizing the sock drawer), and I had very restless sleep. So a bipolar med was having a "manic" side effect. But eventually -- after about a month and a half -- those side effects went away. Everyone's different of course, but if you hang in there things may even out. I'm glad to hear that the B6 is helping, and it's great that you are practicing relaxation techniques.

I have a brief question regarding medication experiences and seizure control.

My neurologist is away for a week due to family illness.

I have been prescribed an AED called Trileptal for partial epilepsy. They said it would take 2-3 weeks to control my seizures, and I have been on it for almost a week now. I have noticed a gradual but dramatic reduction in all seizure types as time progresses.

The doc said it would calm me also, maybe. However, as each seizure disappears and I have less and less, the more unhinged I become.

I have racing thoughts and irritability, anxiety and obsessive thoughts. I have strange, schizophrenic-like thoughts as well. But no hallucinations. On self-reflection, I feel as if I am experiencing a mania-like set of symptoms. These occurred the first day intensely, euphoria as if they put all of the hospitals opiates in my IV (I am being humorous; they did not do this). This medicine they said was for Bipolar disorder as well and that it may calm me, but it is doing quite the opposite, while controlling my seizures very well. In other words, the psychiatric use the med is non-existent for me just epilepsy-control. As the latter improves, the former does not.

I spoke to my pharmacist, and she and I came up with a solution in the form of a B6 supplement she sells which can be dissolved in water. We determined a good dose, and I am much calmer after I drink it. I refrain from any mind-altering substance like caffeine. I am practicing good sleep hygiene and relaxation.

For relaxation I listen to random numbers being repeated for hours on a loop. It relaxes me like nothing else. I love numbers and foreign languages and learning numbers in foreign languages. I taught English for years.

In the opinions of some of you, is this reaction to medicine normal? Some of the pharmacist resources seem to think so. But I thought I would ask. My doctor's office said that I need to give it a few more weeks and that this may happen.

Thanks,

CW
I take breviact now it and every pill they have giving me has given me these side effects. When I was not compliant with meds I would have 4 to 5 seizures a year now I have seizures everyday. If I miss a pill I'm flopping on the floor. I want off of them. My doctor wouldn't even turn my Vegal nerve stimulator off when I asked him to.

B6

I spoke to my pharmacist, and she and I came up with a solution in the form of a B6 supplement she sells which can be dissolved in water. We determined a good dose, and I am much calmer after I drink it.CW

It's good to know that the B6 is helping.

B6 is also known to calm the 'Keppra Rage' for some people who use Keppra.

Also:

https://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/diseases/10730/pyridoxal-5-phosphate-dependent-epilepsy (my condition, PNPO Deficiency)

Recently however, patients with pyridoxine responsiveness and PNPO mutations have been reported.
https://www.ejpn-journal.com/article/S1090-3798(15)30366-4/fulltext

and:

https://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/diseases/9298/pyridoxine-dependent-epilepsy

My early years with B6 can be found here: https://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/40-years-vitamin-b6-11674/

**DO NOT ALTER ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S CONSENT**

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom