Don't become a victim of medical marketing

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bernard

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
Following up on http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com...al-profits-come-before-consumer-wellness-819/ and http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/doctors-not-immune-sales-pitches-716/ comes the natural extension from CNN...
Elizabeth Cohen said:
Linda Lewis says that when she had back surgery two years ago, her surgeon didn't do what was best for her health; he did was best for his bank account.

If Linda Lewis had known of her surgeon's financial ties to a device maker, she'd have sought a second opinion.
How likely is it that your doctor has a tie to a company that makes drugs or devices? Very likely, according to Dr. Robert Steinbrook, who wrote an article on doctor/industry ties this month in the New England Journal of Medicine.

"Most physicians in the United States have financial relationships with industry, ranging from the acceptance of meals to the receipt of large sums of money for consulting, speaking, or conducting research," he wrote.

For example, two physicians made more than $8 million each from Dupuy Orthopaedics Inc., which lists the payments on its Web site.

"Consumers should absolutely know where their doctor is coming from," said Steven Findlay, a health care analyst at Consumers Union. "Doctors think they won't be influenced by these financial relationships, but the research shows that they are."

Eric Campbell, an associate professor of health policy at Harvard Medical School, put it a different way.

"Let's say your investment counselor went on a trip to Aruba paid for by a certain company," he said. "Then he comes home and recommends you invest in that company. Wouldn't you be concerned?"

If you want to know whether your doctor has financial ties to industry, and how that might color his or her treatment recommendations, experts have this advice:

1. Pens, pamphlets and attractive people in suits

"Look around for hints that your doctor sees a lot of drug reps," advised Dr. Daniel Carlat, an assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at Tufts University Medical Center who blogs about the industry's influence on physicians.

If you want to know whether your doctor has been influenced by industry sales people, Carlat advises patients to look for anything branded with a drug company's name, such as pens and pamphlets.

"And if you see an extremely attractive, impeccably dressed, polite person with a briefcase in the waiting room, watch out! That's most likely a drug rep," he said.

2. Ask questions about devices

Device companies -- those that make heart stents, for example, or artificial knees -- spend millions on fees to physicians.

If you're considering getting an artificial knee or hip, you can check with the Association for Medical Ethics to see whether your doctor has a financial tie to Dupuy Orthopaedics or Zimmer Inc., Biomet Inc., Smith & Nephew Inc. or Stryker Orthopedics. All were required last year by the U.S. Department of Justice to disclose consulting agreements with physicians.

3. Ask questions about drugs you'll take long-term

Brand-name drugs taken long-term -- antidepressants, for example, or cholesterol drugs -- are often heavily marketed to physicians.

If you're suspicious that your doctor's prescription might be based on ties to a certain company rather than on your health, you can ask questions.

"Ask the doctor what's the scientific evidence for prescribing that particular drug over another one. They must have a scientific reason, especially if it's a high-price brand-name drug instead of a generic," Campbell said.

4. Know when not to worry

Is it worth trying to figure out whether every prescription is based on a tie to a pharmaceutical company?

"There are circumstances where you want to take this extra step, and there are other times where you really don't want to bother," Findlay said.

For example, Findlay says, pharmaceutical companies usually don't heavily market antibiotics; they're taken for short periods of time and aren't usually huge money-makers.

The American Medical Association stresses the need for disclosure of doctor-drug company relationships. "The first priority of physicians is the health and well-being of our patients," said Joseph Heyman, M.D., the AMA's board chair.

Don't become a victim of medical marketing

I think this

article says a lot, and should make everyone THINK. If you are not thrilled with your doctor's answers, GET A SECOND, AND EVEN A THIRD OPINION. Most doctors are more than happy for you to do so. If they're not, then there's a problem.

Be sure to ask your doctors about all of the samples etc., that you see in their lobby. If they seem overly enthusiastic about a certain procedure, ask why. If they don't want to tell you, then say you want to think about it. And then leave, and go do some research. Make your decision based on your RESEARCH, and go from there.

It's too bad the "Association for Medical Ethics" just encompasses the companies mentioned in the report. It would be interesting to see a similar database for doctors compensated by Cyberonics. It might shed some light on Dr. Schacter.

I have also been at certain Labs, and they have TV screens with medical "news". I now know that they are most likely provided by the phamaceutical companies and the propaganda disguised as "news" is dumbing us down to believe it as "truth".

I think this sort of this is going to get harder and harder to hide, the more networks that are created with personal experience.

Pharmaceuticals

I've posted on this subject before, but I am glad to see it here again. In the book I read, "Our Daily Meds", by Melody Petersen, she sheds light on the pharmaceutical industry and on some of the doctors in the world of epilepsy. How they sell the drugs and are compensated by the pharmaceuticals. Dr. Schacter is one of the doctors mentioned in this book! :ponder: Another good book that talks about this and is written by a dr. at Harvard is "Overdosed America", by John Abramson.

I've seen and confronted a drug rep in the doctor's office before, but of course, she was very defensive. They don't need to take up "our", the patients, time! :bigmouth:

BTW, I ended up with diabetes because of a drug that was heavily marketed by Eli Lilly for bi-polar disorder. That drug is Zyprexa. So BEWARE of what you swallow!!! I now have to take Insulin shots and check my glucose regularly along with meds for epilepsy, thyroid, and depression.

Cindy

I wonder what the % of research being done, is sponsored by pharmaceutical companies, or for new drug development vs alternative approaches.

Excellent point. The current craze is serratiopeptidase , a next to useless drug that is supposed to help patients heal better. According to the med reps' "statistics" 100 pts not on S'pep were discharged in 10 days whearas 100 pts on S'pep were discharged in 9 days. Give me a break. Here ,most docs use the med reps to get free samples of good , branded meds for our poorer patients who cannot afford them. All you have to do is pretend you're interested. There are some jerky docs here as well who accpet the " free" ipod or laptop. The trips to aruba are few and far between here :).
Part of the problem is the documentation is also often fudged by the drug company. Why do you think so many drugs are approved by the FDA and then pulled off when the population gets serious side effeects? ( in cin.t's case , diabetes)?. Cox-2 inhibitors were popped like tylenol untill the liver failure showed up. Who do you believe when research is fudged? Today , lots of medical research is sponsored by companies with an agenda , which stay behind the scenes. A study linking cell phones with cancer - sponsored by nokia. the list goes on. Another reason is that people are so desperate for results , we sell ourselves to maintain a research grant. There is an excellent article by Richard P. Feynman on this subject called " cargo cult science". In it he explains that after the War , natives on some islands got food relief from planes. Now , fifty years later they set up the runway , set up a wooden ATC tower , but still the planes don't land. This is because they didn't get the principle of why the planes came there in the first place. science today is as shoddy. In our relentles quest for results , we have forgotten what is of paramount importance - our scientific integrity. This is also one of the primary reasons i'm against the use of ECT in depression ( electo convulsive therapy). No one knows WHY it works. The story goes that depressed epileptics felt their depression reduce after a seizure. This led to people inducing seizures electrically to reduce depression in suicidal cases. It's like eating bread mould instead of trying to discover pennicillin.

My daughter is an OB/GYN in Kansas City. She said that, in the states, they have tightened restrictions somewhat on what drug reps can do/GiVE to doctors. However, she also said there is a loophole. If the drug reps bring in an "expert" of their choosing, of course, and bill it as an educational seminar, they can entice Doctors by giving them something. She said that most Doctors -- like Dr. Arvind -- simply put up with the drug companies bs to get free samples for patients who need them. Unfortunately, there's the few others.

Back
Top Bottom