Dr. appt. was today. Lamictal?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

allie510

New
Reaction score
So today was my day with the new neurologist and just like I told you guys I went on and on and on and told her EVERYTHING. Well she stood in the room with me for 2 HOURS and she explained EVERYTHING in detail.
She states that the epilepsy I am describing is the kind that they don't know what causes it.
She told me not to drink, drive and to please come back. She stressed how important it is to follow her directions.
She changed me to Lamictal 100 mg .... starting at 25 mg.
So my new question is who is on Lamictal...and what can I expect????? Kinda anxious ........

Raise lamictal slowly. There's a slim chance of it, but if you get a rash, tell the neuro immediately. It could be Steven's Johnson Syndrome, which can be fatal. That's why she only started you on 25mg daily.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stevens-johnson-syndrome/DS00940

I've been taking lamictal for over 10 yrs. The only problems I had, was when my neuro had me on too much. I was taking 1000mg daily, at the time. When I was taking too much lamictal, I had double vision, was lightheaded, felt like my head was spinning. Sometimes had to hold on to the walls to walk. If you start getting any of these symptoms, tell your neuro and lower the dosage.

Now I take 400mg daily and don't have any problems. I can't take more than 500mg daily, but everyone's different.

I can only take lamictal as an add-on med. It helps control my seizures. But it's not enough alone. But everyone's different. Lamictal may be all you need.

http://www.drugs.com/pdr/lamictal.html
The side effects listed here are just "possible" side effects. It doesn't neccessarily mean these things are gonna happen. Just pay attention. If you notice any side effects, tell your neuro.

Rebecca did not do well on Lamictal. She had severe body aches, and then fever. We discontinued it after about a month. Her seizures were worse.

I was

on it for 7 years. Like Heather, I raised the dose slowly, and did alright. However, I did have the muscle aches, lightheadedness and memory issues, too. So, I backed off on the dose, and ended up at 300 mg per day. Paired with 300 mg Dilantin, and 300 mg of Depakote. YUK.

After 7 years, the memory issues started to become too much, and I had already weaned off Dilantin, and I was having major issues with Depakote, too, so I did a major med change, and totally switched meds.

To each their own........

Meetz1064

Depakote raises the lamictal levels. So it could have been the combination of lamictal and depakote, instead of just lamictal.

I know

but at that point, the doctor couldn't tell because I had been on both for the same amount of time, so I was taken off of both of them......

Besides, I was also having some nasty side effects from the Depakote, too.....

I'm on Lamictal 200mg/day, not other meds. Initial side effects = increased rate of hair thinning, occasionally blurred vision, high blood pressure, drymouth, jaw-clenching, vivid dreams/sleep issues., increased appetite. But after about 6 months, my body has adjusted a bit -- I'm currently mostly bothered by the blurred vision and the high blood pressure. Other stuff falls in the minor/tolerable category.

nakamova ..how much hair thinning because ...
um.... i already found a bald spot on my head last week
which I was told was due to high levels of stress...

Hi Allie510. I'm on the same level of lamictal as nakamova, have only been on it since January and although I felt strange at first (a bit spacey and a little bit nauseas when taking the med) i haven't really noticed much else. Just keep an eye out for a rash like Heather mentioned, even if it is only mild it is best to have it looked at.

My son had no side effects such as the Lamictal rash or behavioural problems on Lamictal. But as we raised his dose, his szs got worse and he started to have new types of szs he didn't have before. This is a known effect of Lamictal, I know several kids whose szs worsened and they had to wean it off quickly. But I also do know several kids who do well on it.

My son was on it as well Dutch mom, along with tegretol and keppra and it actually didn't seem to make any difference to his seizures. his seizures did change a bit but the frequency never changed when he went on it, it was the 3rd medicine that made a difference and we were able to get him off it quite easily. I would like to think he is happier now that he is off it but it could be coincidence because he is a bit older.

I took lamictal "alone" for a few yrs. Eventually my seizures did start to get worse. Lamictal was helping, but it wasn't enough. I know it helps my seizure control because even when I miss a partial dose, my seizure control gets worse. So my neuro added keppra. My seizure control is better than it's been in yrs. I wish I could come off of one of the meds (preferably lamictal because keppra is helping my seizure control more than lamictal). But I can't yet.

Lamictal works great for me as an add-on, but not monotherapy.

Lamictal may give me insomnia. I think just about every med I've ever taken has given me insomnia, so I really don't know. I don't know if it's me or the meds.

Nakamova, I'm surprised to hear about hair thinning. My hair is really thick and always has been, no matter what meds I've taken.

re: hair loss: No bald spot, just suddenly a lot more hair coming out all day long, in the sink, in the shower, in the hairbrush. It coincided with going on the Lamictal, so was pretty clearly a side-effect. But after a few months it abated. Your patch might be stress-related, or possibly nutrition-related, or thyroid-related. Don't forget to mention stuff like the hair loss to your doctor, who may have a helpful take.

Hi there - on the next post, I will add some links
so you may view some threads on the topics of
Lamictal / Lamotrigine.

Many people with Epilepsy do not experience any side
effects or if they do, it goes away after starting it.
However, there are a few that experiences some side
effects that are tolerable and eventually it does go
away after a time being. Then there are members who
never had any side effects at all until years later, and
unfortunately there are a few who had suffered some
serious side effects that had to be taken off right away.

All Anti-Epileptic Drugs carries side effects - to be blunt.
Your Neurologist / Epileptologist has determined that this
drug is deemed best for you and has considered the risks
outweighing everything. The only way anything can be
found out and learned of such is via trial and error.

While it is good to be aware of the side effects but try
not to be overly obsessed about it while being on it; for
the body has to undergo adjustments as known as "honey-
moon" phase - during the titration; just make sure that the
process of the titration on Lamictal / Lamotrigine is done
slowly - for this is the best way to proceed.

Good Luck!

:tup:

Holy headache

i took the first pill coincidental or not idk but i have a headache from hell.....can i take excedrin?

Well, guess what?

I get to go BACK to Lamictal. Due to the fact that Keppra and I do NOT get along at all, I am headed back that way. The nurse made sure to make the titration super slow after this last incident....LOL. If I remember right, it's going to take 2 or 3 months for me to get up to 100 mg. Which is just fine with me.

*sigh*

I'm hoping that I will do well on this especially after the problems of last time. I am just NOT in the mood for any more problems with meds.....:paperbag:

I have been on Lamictal now for a few months with good control and no side effects that I can tell. If it is causing any cognitive issues, I can't tell because those created by my Keppra have decreased dramatically.

I noticed Nakamova mentioned vivid dreams. I don't know if it is from the Lamictal or not, but I am having more dreams that I remember. Don't know if they are caused by the Lamictal or if they were suppressed before and are now coming out again. Who knows???

I started on Lamatrigene (Brand name Lamactil) in March. I started on 25mg and am now on 200mg daily until i see the neurologist again. I'm not sure i can really cope with it. I'm having more blank moments, i get confused easily, and i forget things a lot. I used to be able to memorise phone numbers and random information by just looking at it once or twice.

Now i can't remember even what i've eaten, if i've taken my meds, conversations i've had etc etc. I have also noticed my hair thinning. i hope it doesn't get much worse, because it's at the top of my head and getting to be noticeable.

I'm sticking with it for now though, as the side effects may wear off soon as my body gets used to it :twocents:

I'm going to read the links that Brain posted now, and see if i can find some relevant stuff. Thanks brain!

Oh yeah, theres the constant tiredness and swinging wildly between not sleeping at all, and sleeping like 16 hours a night.

Of course, they say side effects are different for everyone. i've tried setting my phone alarm to take my meds at a specific time, and eating them with food, but not noticed any difference as yet.

Many people would have no side effects at all, it just seems like if i'm on tablets for anything (eg antibiotics), then i'll get a few side effects:banana:

Back
Top Bottom