Dr. Oz Show - Monday Feb 15th

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

batman

Been around the epilepsy block a few times
Reaction score
My hunch was correct.

Everyone, earlier today (Saturday, February 13, 2010) while watching the Fox Channel there was a highlight of what will be shown next week (Feb 15 thru 19, 2010), on the Dr. Oz show. The overall highlight lasted roughly 30 seconds, and what definitely caught my attention was a less than one second part of that highlight. With the help of my Windows XP Media Center computer, I checked to see what the topics would be about on the Dr. Oz show for next week, and sure enough, with what I saw in that highlight today, my hunch was correct.

This coming Monday morning, February 15, 2010, on the Fox Channel, one of the topics that's going to be discussed on the Dr. Oz Show is going to be "Seizures". I went directly to the Dr. Oz website, which is located at www.doctoroz.com , found the section titled "NEXT WEEK ON DR. OZ", clicked on the tab for Monday, and it went to a website where you can watch the video highlight. In that video highlight, it appears the topic pertaining to seizures is titled "WOULD YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO?". While standing in front of a movable wall of curtains, Dr. Oz says to a lady "...you've got 30 seconds. Ready...set...go". The wall of curtains are quickly moved to one side, and on the floor is a lady laying on her right side, acting as if she is having a tonic clonic seizure (grand mal is the old name for this type of seizure). Here's the website address that came up to watch that video highlight... www.doctoroz.com/videos/monday-dr-oz .

I have no idea when the recorded video about seizures will become available on the Dr. Oz website for people to watch it, but I'm pretty sure the video will remain on that website for just 7 days. People who will be watching that video are going to learn the truth about providing assistance for people who have seizures.

For those of you who are a member of this fourm, I'd like to ask you to do something please. After you read this, please post a comment here, even if it's just typing the word "BUMP", in order to keep this discussion at the top. Doing this will increase the opportunities for other people to become aware of this discussion.

Let's just hope the upcoming video about seizures on the Dr. Oz Show will be a great one.

Bruce

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads-up. let's hope the video is well done. If not, I'm sure CWE members won't be shy about letting Dr. Oz Know!

I'm excited

Just saw the segment on Dr. Oz.
I have been bugging him to do something on epilepsy. I'm glad he did.
He did show the wrong way and the right way to give first aid, along with stating three first aid myths and why they were myths.

I'm guessing that the first aid technique shown by the guest was standard first aid for most common emergencies when you happen across a person you encounter who is unconscious and you don't know why, which is something that I learned as a kid.
He did use the old terms for epilepsy, which I am guessing is still in common use, despite the fact that we as PWEs' no longer use.
Everything was very basic as far as explaining the first aid, which did more good than explaining the many types and degrees of seizure disorders.
He also used a static ball (or whatever it's called-it was a late 80s' to early 90s' toy for the rich) to explain what the brain is doing during a seizure.

While I wanted to reach out and bitch-slap the 'assistant of the day' I held back, because it is good to have a base-line knowledge as to where the general public is as far as the basic generalized first aid is. We are a special care group, and we (IMHO) require specialized care. That is, our support group of friends and family need to know more than the basic first aider.
While 'first, do no harm' was evident in the basic first-aider (whose friend has epilepsy), it would be nice to have more people aware of our special needs regarding first aid.

Can he do more? I think so. Was this a good start. IMHO, yes.

Last edited:
the video

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/seizure-first-aid

It’s one of the most frightening medical attacks and it strikes 1 in 10 people during their lifetime. Would you know what to do if a seizure affected someone you know? Dr. Oz explains what causes seizures and takes you through the Do’s and Don’ts of seizure first aid.

DO
Stay calm.
Check the time – seizures become extremely dangerous when they last longer than 5 minutes. You’ll need to tell this information to the doctor.
Keep them safe by limiting their exposure to items like sharp objects, stairs or furniture they could hurt themselves on.
Turn their head to the side in order to keep their airway clean.
DON’T
Restrain them.
Offer food or drink until they are alert.
Put anything in their mouth.
Put your fingers in their mouth.
For more information on seizures, visit the Epilepsy Foundation and epilepsy.com.

Wow, this puts people who experience seizures at ten percent (10%)

Watch the video, and take mental notes of what most people do know, and what they need to learn.

I remember when I was at the school for the blind, a teacher who was subbing for my P.E. teacher saw me starting to have a complex partial seizure. He didn't realize I had them but my friend did. I was sitting on the bench after doing some excersices and played some goalball game. So I knew something was happening and went to go sit down - my friend was with me. So when the teacher came up to me, trying to get my attention- he slapped me (not hard) but enough to wake someone up if they were sleeping. Which he thought I was doing at the time- my friend told him that I was having a mild seizure and he realized what he did. I didn't tell anyone about it since most would not understand, I assumed. So I let my friend know that he needs to tell the teacher what's going on. He said he already did and that the teacher didn't realize what was going on. The sub was visually impaired himself and could not tell the small details.
So since then, I have always worn an medical ID. I would rather have something with me that tells others what could possible be the problem- than a person hurt me or try to get me out of a seizure in a wrong way.

This video is good. I think by having one person going through three different seizure might make it confusing if a person comes up to someone having just one type.
But can't complain too much- since talking about Epilepsy in an educational way is really lacking on good quality shows like Dr. Oz.

Last night while watching TV, there were 4 different refrences or displays of seizures on four different shows.
I was kinda crazy!

Anyway- thanks for posting that. I listened to it and sounded pretty good. I'm sure that woman wasn't too happy since she had to deal with a seizure in a live person infront of the studio audience but it will be something she probably will never forget.

Take care,
Crystal

I am so thankful Epilepsy was finally presented on television by a real professional. Maybe he did use some outdated terms, but to the general public, that is all they know, but now we can save this video and forward it to all of our families and friends and update their knowledge and tell them of our own stories. I forwarded the video to everyone on my e-mail list.

I've also written to Oprah and Dr. Phil several times, asking them to focus on Epilepsy, but did I ever hear anything? :mad:

I have epilepsy & had seen my mother have a seizure when I was a child but when I saw my own child have one it was terrifying. I did know the correct things to do and am glad that Dr. Oz showed the correct way to give aid. Maybe now others won't be as scared as I was when I saw it happen.:e:

What an awesome video by Dr. Oz. He is definitely helping to raise awareness rather than ignorance about epilepsy. Kudos to him!

I finally had the time to watch it on the Dr. Oz website and did notice several steps missing.

Take a guess at these. I'll give everyone a hit for 2 of them. One of the rather important steps would need to take place quickly after the "grand mal" started. And another one did take place, but should have continued to the end of a grand mal seizure. :ponder:

Last edited:
Thank you for the Video

I would like to thank you for posting the video, even though I believe he could have went more in depth. No 2 people are wired the same way. I forwared this video to everyone that has contact with me so they will understand and not just stand there and laugh, or say what do we do. SO A VERY BIG THANK YOU, AND A GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.
:e: Kimberly :e: :clap:

Coulda, shoulda, woulda

Yes, I agree that there should have been more. However, bear in mind we live in a sound bite society.
I have noted the use of old language, stating that IMO most people still use. He had to be aware of that.
Could he have done better? In our opinion. But the vast majority of the population has never seen a tonic clonic (gran mal) let alone know what to do.
More education is needed. I know that some people want to do Oprah, but I'd rather stick with a professional who has the popularity to teach 'them' about 'us'.

I think he did a good job of really emphasizing the most important points. You have to realize that 90% of the people who watch his show are only going to remember very little of what they saw a day or two later. If they only remember to clear the immediate area and not stick things in the mouth, I'll consider it a success.

I think he did a good job of really emphasizing the most important points. You have to realize that 90% of the people who watch his show are only going to remember very little of what they saw a day or two later. If they only remember to clear the immediate area and not stick things in the mouth, I'll consider it a success.

:agree:

I forwarded the video to almost everyone on my email list, and so far, of those who have responded, their reply is one of thanks of the very informative video, but also saying they hope they can remember what to do if/when the time comes.

The one I strongly believe shouldn't have been overlooked is to "protect the person's head". Place something underneath the person's head or try to hold the person's head yourself, during the seizure.

The other one was there, but should have continued until the seizure was over with, and that was to keep the person on their side to avoid anything inside the mouth from being inhaled.

Back
Top Bottom