EEG strobe lights

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jvere

New
Reaction score
I know this has probably already been posted a million times so I apologize...

Had an EEG this morning.

Once the strobe got up to the rapid speeds my whole brain started swishing from side to side to the point I felt nauseous and I gripped the sides of the bed.

Tech asked if I was ok and I said I felt like I was in a boat being rocked violently side to side and was sure I was going to fall off the bed. It persisted for minutes after the strobe was done too. Then he went into the hyperventilation thing and I am reminding myself now that I will never do another EEG!!!!

Anyway, does that sound fairly normal? I did a search and found some old posts here about feeling dizzy and tired after an EEG. But feeling like you're about to be rocked off the bed? It was very unsettling! I don't know a soul who has done an EEG before so I have no one else to ask!!! :(

It's been quite a few years since my last EEG but I remember that. It didn't effect me as bad as you described it but I definitely didn't like it.

I have never been asked that but strobe lights don't affect me at all!!!!

The EEG strobes are done for a reason to see if they can provoke abnormal brain waves, so it sounds like they definitely provoked you in some way. You might have had a seizure response, or perhaps a migraine, since those can also be provoked by strobes or patterns.

They don't effect me either and I am very sorry you had a bad reaction to them! Did they make you go through the strobe eyes open or shut my test was eyes shut?

Thanks,

John

They don't effect me either and I am very sorry you had a bad reaction to them! Did they make you go through the strobe eyes open or shut my test was eyes shut?

Thanks,

John

They affect me. And I did the test with eyes open and shut. I didn't think they affected me during the test, but I got the tingles all over. And then the results said that I had abnormal activity for about a minute.
Other types of strobe with coloured lights bug me more than just white light.

Thank you for all the responses! You guys are a great group!

So, it was with eyes shut. It was awful! 1000 times worse than "the spins" you can get from drink or smoking pot (ahem.. so I'm, uh, told)

I have often had a milder version of this back and forth feeling of motion especially when I am in the dark trying to go to sleep (sans drink or anything and no, I dont smoke pot! Uh. Anymore.) Figured it was just my ears.

NEVER DOING ANOTHER EEG!! Bleh!!! Bleh bleh!

Back
Top Bottom