Electrical Fields Influence Brain Activity

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Endless

Even Keel
Reaction score
Article about study on electrical fields and brain function:

http://news.yale.edu/2010/07/14/yale-study-shows-electrical-fields-influence-brain-activity

McCormick and Flavio Frohlich, a postdoctoral research associate, introduced slow oscillation signals into brain tissue and found that the signal created a sort of feedback loop, with changes in electrical field guiding neural activity, which in turn strengthened the electrical field.
“It’s like asking whether the roar of the crowd in the football stadium also influences you to cheer as well. And in turn, your cheering encourages others to cheer along with you.” McCormick said.
The ability of electric fields generated by the brain to influence its own activity appears to be particularly prominent during epileptic seizures. However, the influence of electric fields is not limited to these pathological states. The study of Frohlich and McCormick demonstrates that the electrical fields also influence brain function during normal activities such as sleep.
McCormick said the findings change the way in which we view brain function and may be of significant clinical value in controlling epilepsy, depression and other neural dysfunctional states.

Excellent article. This is the part that caught my attention though...

The study also “raises many questions about the possible effects of electrical fields, such as power lines and cell phones, in which we immerse ourselves,” said David McCormick, the Dorys McConnell Duberg Professor of Neurobiology at Yale School of Medicine, a researcher of the Kavli Institute of Neuroscience and senior author of the study.

My seizures really took off in the mid 1990's, right along with the proliferation of cell phone towers, wifi, etc... In fact, there was a tower a half a block up the street from where I was living overlooking my home. Not only that, but 'classic OCD' kicked in when I was 20, so that would have been 1985? Though I had OCD behaviors since I was 12, just not 'classic' - so that would have been 1977. And when did the first cell phones come out?

Here is some cell phone 'history'. Scroll to the 'timeline'...

http://www.historyofcellphones.net/

A little personal comparison, though I'm sure cell phones aren't the only culprits in my neurological decline and demise. Radio, radar, satellites - I'm sure they all play in...

1921 - Initial usage of radio devices started.

1940 - Police department first started using radios for communication with additional features.

1965 - I'm born.

1973 - Martin Cooper, a Motorola researcher and executive, made the first analogue mobile phone call on a prototype model.

1977 - OCD behaviors kick in (age 12) - serious, though not 'classic'.

1982 - FCC approved the proposal for Advanced Mobile Phone System (AMPS) and allocated frequencies in the 824–894 MHz band.

1985 - 'Classic' OCD kicks in (age 20). Pretty severe from the get-go.

1990 - Number of mobile subscribers in the world crosses 10 million.

OCD worsens. Klonopin increases necessary for what doctors are calling 'anxiety' and 'panic attacks' (unrecognized seizures).

2002 - Number of mobile subscribers in the world crosses 1 billion.

OCD worsens. Seizures continue to worsen and go unrecognized.

2006 - Number of mobile subscribers in the world crosses 2.5 billion.

OCD worsens. Seizures continue to worsen and go unrecognized.

Today, 2011 - OCD continued to worsen. Crippling. Generalized Seizure Disorder (finally) recognized and diagnosed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom