Employer & Private Policy Act

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Porkette

Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I applied for a new job as a nurses assistant helping patients with alzhemiers and working in a place where people aren't in a nursing home but need some assistance at times.
I had the interview and was open about my epilepsy, meds, cbd oil and surgery I had back in 1994 to reduce my seizures. A couple of days later the employer called me wanting detail about my brain surgery asking: What kind of surgery did you have, Did they remove any part of the brain and if so what, was it scar tissue that was removed, what types of seizures did you have before surgery, what types do you now, what meds have you taken. When I asked them why are you questioning me about all of this. The employer gave me the line "The upper executives have requested this info." Do you feel that they have broken the private policy act? I offered them info. from my Dr. that I was able to do the job. Thanks for any input, I really appreciate it. All of you are a Great Blessing to me and A Wonderful Friend. I wish all of you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Wow that's a lot if questions but I'm wondering as crazy as it sounds are they concerned your epilepsy may affect your job or put the patients at risk.

That being said I don't think there was a need to question you so much about your surgery especially as it was so long ago.

I'm in administration so I prefer to be open about my epilepsy in case I have seizure at work. My current boss doesn't have an issue with it and neither did my previous bosses.

Good luck and let us know how you go

Last edited:
Hi CQ,

Just like you said "that's a lot of questions to be asking especially when I was open with
them from the very beginning telling them I had epilepsy and explaining the types of seizures I have. Just like you I've always been very open about my epilepsy so the employer can't come back on me and tell me I never mentioned it. Thanks for your input and I wish you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

My old employer wanted to speak to my neurologist about my epilepsy. When I told my neurologist, he flat out refused to give any details, when my boss was pressuring me to get him to talk, I ended up telling him to go jump.

I'll tell anyone that I have seizures but I don't like going in depth about it if I think it is going to be used against me

I am open about my epilepsy but at interviews I sort of go with the flow and see how it gos before I bring it up.
Often I will bring it up in conversation when I mention I don’t drive or before I got my previous job they noticed a big gap of work. When I do mention my epilepsy I also make sure to mention they are smaller seizures and mostly well controlled.

With both my previous job and current job I got them both through a disability employment agency who had let them know I have epilepsy so the employers knew about my epilepsy before I even met them. When I started both jobs all my bosses and coworkers asked was what happens when I have a seizure, what they should look out for and anything they need to do. Main thing I tell people is my seizures are small so I will stare into space or may lose awareness, otherwise people assume I have full on tonic clonic.

Hi Folks,

I applied for a new job as a nurses assistant helping patients with alzhemiers and working in a place where people aren't in a nursing home but need some assistance at times.
I had the interview and was open about my epilepsy, meds, cbd oil and surgery I had back in 1994 to reduce my seizures. A couple of days later the employer called me wanting detail about my brain surgery asking: What kind of surgery did you have, Did they remove any part of the brain and if so what, was it scar tissue that was removed, what types of seizures did you have before surgery, what types do you now, what meds have you taken. When I asked them why are you questioning me about all of this. The employer gave me the line "The upper executives have requested this info." Do you feel that they have broken the private policy act? I offered them info. from my Dr. that I was able to do the job. Thanks for any input, I really appreciate it. All of you are a Great Blessing to me and A Wonderful Friend. I wish all of you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Yes

unless they offered you a job, i wouldnt say shit

Hi Folks,

I want to thank all of you for your info. I left a message with a lawyer and he got back to me and told me NO WAY should they be asking such detailed questions. They could ask about my seizures and that's it. I wonder now if I should report them to the Labor Board. Thanks for all your help and input. I wish all of you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Even though I often mention my epilepsy I don’t usually mention my surgery until after I get the job. Only time I think I did was last year I had an interview and the interviewer mentioned she was a bit nervous because her brother was having his 2nd brain surgery. Turned out he had his 1st surgery years ago at the same hospital I had mine and I think the 2nd was for a brain anorism. That’s when I said I have epilepsy as well and also had brain surgery to help control the seizures.

I was actually due to go see my neuro the following week, I didn’t end up getting that job. But I think it was mainly because it was at a place that installed garage doors and the manager was hoping to find an administration girl who was an all rounder lol, so who had forklift licence incase they needed to move pallets where I don’t even have a car licence lol.

Last edited:
They don't need/have the right to obtain such detailed information. Otherwise, a person's medical records would be available for anyone access.

Back
Top Bottom