Epilepsy and Diabetes type 1

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

DayDreamer

Stalwart
Reaction score
I have been confused and asking many questions for the past decade trying to control hypoglycemia after my diabetes diagnosis. My hemoglobin always comes back as a beautiful number at my quarterly endocrinology visits, but that is due to it averaging. I want my brain to be functional in twenty years. With both epilepsy and recurrent hypoglycemia this will be a feat.
It is difficult for me to do basal rate testing as my blood glucose is rarely both stable and in the correct range. The tests say I do not have a problem with gastroparesis nor celiac. I use a scale to measure all of my carbohydrates. My body/blood sugar seems to react differently to the same foods when it wants to. I have a pump and have raised my range to 100-140to prevent lows. I use a glucose sensor but it is often quite off.
It is quite the irritation for my family to worry about two different causes of impairment of my consciousness. I am going to control this diabetes!
I am curious if there are people here who have had similar experiences and know possible solutions to these problems. I have no idea if this is related to epilepsy.

Last edited:
Hi DayDreamer,

I also have epilepsy and Type 1 diabetes. For the seizures I take Keppra and Topamax and for Diabetes I take fast acting insulin-Novolog, with meals, and long acting insulin-Lantus, in the morning and at night. I watch and weigh my carbs and check my glucose throughout the day, with meals and snacks and when I feel shaky. One's blood sugar can react differently throughout the day, depending on what was eaten previously, meds taken, if one is sick, excited, exercised, etc.

Do you use a Correction Factor and the Carb-to-Insulin Ratio to help control your hypoglycemia?
http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes-control/rules-control/correction-factor
http://www.diabetesnet.com/food-diabetes/carb-counting/insulin-reaction-guides

Have you discussed this problem with your endocrinologist and neurologist?

My A1c usually has been 6-7, but last month it was 7.5. My endocrinologist says this is fine since I also have epilepsy. When I sometime experience hypoglycemia, I can tell the difference between that and seizure(s) by the sudden feeling of shakiness, confusion, and this weird, tingling sensation in my mouth. When I have a seizure, the aura is like the start of a slow motion picture and sudden loud noise. That's how I know whether it's the diabetes or epilepsy.

I have hypoglcemic events very often, @4/week, but I can find no pattern for their cause. My blood glucose has gone as low as 28 but the usual is between 45 to 86 when I act upon it depending on how I feel and how fast it is dropping. I have never suffered a seizure or anything similar to my epileptic symptoms (in my perception) from hypoglycemia. I have acted strangely a few times though.

These events have occurred since my diagnosis in 2001. I am on the same drugs as yourself. Keppra was since my diagnosos and Topamax was a new addition in 2002. I have been wearing an insulin pump delivering novolog every five minutes for the last six years. The pump automatically does my correction factors.

My endocrinologist took quite some years to even realize I was having a problem and still seems to take my questions as hypothetical ones that are not easy to understand and not that pressing. I have been handed papers repeatedly on how to measure my basal rates, but it is very difficult to do. It has been suggested that I change it on my own as needed, but it is difficult to be sure I am in the correct range.

I am curious if the problem I am having my unstable blood sugar has been experienced by anyone else and is possibly related to my epilepsy its medication or a related condition and how to control it.

I have complex partial E n type 1 diabetes. i've had diabetes for 16 yrs and the pump for 6yrs .Novorapid in mine. What pump do you have? If you have a "bolus wizard" it would put the programmed correction in for you. Where are you (country)? There are some carb counting books you can get that make it easier as far as measuring things out. It will give you serving sizes (cups/mml's etc). My Endo changed a few things around and now I'm having hypos alot. My Endo also said putting alot more readings into the pump helps also. It has...to a degree

Sent from my LG-C900k using Board Express

I am curious if the problem I am having my unstable blood sugar has been experienced by anyone else and is possibly related to my epilepsy its medication or a related condition and how to control it.

I asked my endo and my neuro the same question because I've had quite a few low blood sugars and some highs, and they both think it can be from the AED's. My endo is less concerned about the highs than the lows because of my seizures. He slightly increased my nightly Lantus.

I have a medtronic pump that was released last year with most of the updated tools on it. I am pretty zealous of measuring portions on scales and keeping my food diary. At times my metabolism or digestion seems to change as my blood sugar will decide to lower or raise on its own accord, regardless of my activity.
I was curious if this was something anyone else with epilepsy and diabetes had in common. I would have no knowledge nor concern of this if I did not keep track of my blood sugars. It may play a role in my aeds also. Who knows.

My daughter is med free now, and I attribute her seizures now to blood sugar issues. I think this condition also contributed to an imbalance in her hormones. Now that we have addressed it, she is almost 10 months seizure free. Rebecca's last blood test showed that she is a high risk for diabetes. I hope since we have been working on overall health, that this risk will soon be a non issue.

My daughter is med free now, and I attribute her seizures now to blood sugar issues. I think this condition also contributed to an imbalance in her hormones. Now that we have addressed it, she is almost 10 months seizure free. Rebecca's last blood test showed that she is a high risk for diabetes. I hope since we have been working on overall health, that this risk will soon be a non issue.

If she is a high risk for diabetes, then she still has a way to go on straightening out her hormonal issue(s). Diabetes is a hormone disorder, as insulin is a hormone produced by the pancreas to control blood sugar.

True, low blood sugar can/does cause seizures for some, but it has to be extremely low in order to do so. I've been seizure free now for nearly a year, but I've also had my blood sugar levels down in the 30's without experiencing seizures. I was in to see my endo yesterday and my A1c was 7.3, but he said it was ok, since I'm a high risk patient and he doesn't want me to start having seizures again. Normal A1c range should not be over 7.

I have hypoglcemic events very often, @4/week, but I can find no pattern for their cause. My blood glucose has gone as low as 28 but the usual is between 45 to 86 when I act upon it depending on how I feel and how fast it is dropping.

I have Epilepsy and Diabetes Type 2.

Your blood glucose should be about 90-100. Either too high or too low can cause seizures, confusion or a coma. I have had it for 13 years.

It is a diet disorder. You have to go to a Diabetes forum and find out what foods to eat. I am on the glycemic index diet. It is on the internet. When I stick to my diet, I do not have seizures.

I am not on any meds for it. I am on diet and exercise. That works the best. My Aic is 5.6.

Have you had a blood test for Diabetes? If not, ask your doctor for one. It is a simple test. You have to find out what your Aic is.

I have Epilepsy and Diabetes Type 2.

It is a diet disorder..... I am on the glycemic index diet. .... When I stick to my diet, I do not have seizures.

Have you had a blood test for Diabetes? If not, ask your doctor for one. It is a simple test. You have to find out what your Aic is.

As I stated before, Diabetes is a hormonal disorder which may/may not be controlled by diet, depending on what type. Type 2 diabetes is much easier to control by diet than Type 1 diabetes.

Even if a person with type 1 diabetes fasted and exercised, they still require insulin injections for survival as their pancreas is no longer capable of producing insulin.

The only question I have is whether people with both epilepsy and type 1 diabetes, two very distinct illnesses, possibly have another condition that affects their digestion or metabolism.

Thank you DayDreamer for your correction. I did not know that about the pancreas with Type 1. Are you on insulin?

You can probably google your question. I am going to write down your question and see if I can find it. I have checked before by googling Epilepsy and Diabetes.

When I was first diagnosed, my neuro told me that they are both centered in the brain and cause more problems.

In my experience things being in slow motion or being dizzy is blood sugar being low. But I would double check with your doctor on that.
What you are describing almost sounds like a seizure though.

The only question I have is whether people with both epilepsy and type 1 diabetes, two very distinct illnesses, possibly have another condition that affects their digestion or metabolism.

YES!! I have Epilepsy, Type 1 Diabetes, AND a Thyroid disorder, so I take Synthroid on top of Keppra and Topomax for seizures and Lantus + Novolog shots for Diabetes. Some of the meds for E can/do cause problems for the thyroid. But thyroid problems do run in my family. All females in my family have it, so does my grown daughter. She lost 1/2 of her thyroid due to Hashimoto's disease. Type 1 Diabetes can also cause metabolic problems. That is why I see an endocrinologist (a hormone Dr.) every 3-4 months. Fortunately, he is at the same University Hospital as my epileptologist.

Does Topomax have any side effects? There has been talk of switching me to it but that's the concern of the doctors. The Keppra is making me exhausted, snippy/cranky...Id like to switch. The Topomax was an option they mentioned. That's the only reason I am curious if you are okay with telling me. I am sorry for all of your suffering...
I'm thinking its a good idea to keep the doctors at the same building or area. Thank - you.

YES, Topomax does have many side effects. They call it Dopemax for a reason..... it can cause a person to really become 'spaced-out', even zombie-like if on a higher dose. Plus, it can cause a person to lose weight and become anemic. That is what it did when I was originally prescribed this med about 15 years ago, but a higher dosage. Now I only take 200 mgs. of it.

Back
Top Bottom