Epilepsy AND diabetes?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I haven't been on here for a long time.
In summer last year i was diagnosed with diabetes.
Alongside all of my epilepsy treatment and medication, i have been really struggling. Like one illness doesnt make you feel isolated enough already.

I was just wondering if there is anyone with the same problem?
Or has another illness they are dealing with as well as their epilepsy.

I find loneliness the hardest part of my illnesses. I'm 19 and find it hard fitting in, being able to go to college or work etc.
Any support would be massively appreciated.
Thanks guys.

Hello C0nn0rCh0sen,

There are some CWE members with both Epilepsy AND diabetes and I am sure they will chirp in soon.

My Son of 27 has E, mainly T/C. Do you see a therapist? My Son does and it’s a real saving grace at times for him. He can let it rip and sometimes an 'outsider’ can help us both express and deal with our frustrations.

Have you considered contacting your local Epilepsy foundation? They can offer some real guidance too.

Are you getting any support from your school?

I am sorry; you sure have been dealt this hand of cards. I would like to hope/think you will not let that stop you working towards achieving your goals and your dreams. May take a little longer (my Son doing his university course in 5 years instead of 4) and he is pursuing his utter passion for music (work experience at radio station). Yes he hates the meds, hates E, but he is mega open and talks about to anyone who will listen.

Stay positive and keep battling (you are just by posting this), don’t let this beat you – beat it right back….

Yeah i see a therapist, i havent contacted my local foundation though, ill definitely look into that, thanks.
I'm the same with my college, im studying over 5 years too. it might turn into even longer.
I love music too. i write my own songs and i produce beats and do some singing/rapping lol. its therapeutic.

CWE member Cint has diabetes as well; she'll be able to offer words of wisdom. I offer my support -- I know it must be tough having to deal with TWO chronic illnesses. I hope that both epilepsy and diabetes can become mere "background noise" for you as pursue your college education. Hang in there!

Hi CONN,

I've had E for over 30+ years now and tried numerous meds, to no avail. Seven years ago I was also diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes, as an adult. It was brought on by a medication a psychiatrist had prescribed for depression. So in addition to the AED's, I also have to do insulin shots 4 times a day and check my glucose levels numerous times a day and sometimes in the middle of the night, like last night. Make sure your epilepsy dr. and your endocrinologist communicate as some medications can interfere with your glucose levels. Keep a journal of your levels, too. Watch your carbs, as they can make the glucose levels rise. Have you seen a dietician for your diabetes? So yes, life is a B**** for some of us, but we must find something to keep us going. It sounds like music is it for you. Write about what you're feeling..... share it with us on the Creative Writing page. And keep sharing with your therapist.... tell him/her your deepest fear, everything you need to... Hang in there and come back here and share more.

thank you :)
I have had an insulin pump for a couple of months now. its taking some adjusting to. I check my glucose god knows how many times a day and i take 4 different anti-epileptic medications. It's hard not to let it take over your life. I find myself cutting myself off from other people and not joining in with friends or family because "what if i get sick when im out" etc etc.
I have a girlfriend who is amazing support to me but i know she cuts herself off a lot too to spend time with me and i feel guilty about it and don't want my illnesses to make her miserable too.

I have journals and plenty of doctors & hospital visits for both illnesses. Its so hard knowing its not something that you will ever recover from, just something you will eventually get used to or accept.

I hope that you have a lot of support around you. it definitely sounds like you deserve it. thank you for talking to me.

It is difficult at first, but please don't cut off your family and friends. Educate them all on diabetes AND epilepsy. Education is powerful and that is the key. The fear is the unknown, so when others know what to do when/if your glucose drops or you happen to go into a seizure, then everyone will be a bit more at ease. Neither illness is your fault nor are they anything to be ashamed of. As the saying goes..... SHIT happens!!!!!

Hang in there! We are here for you.

I understand the loneliness part... I only have epilepsy, but I understand completely. I'm SORT of lucky because I'm in the military and am in a medical unit, so everyone lives near each other and we all have our own issues that we'll all talk about, so I sort of fit in. On the other hand, I'm in the middle of nowhere with zero public transportation and can't drive, so if other people aren't around, I'm basically stuck alone. Plus there are only a few people in my age range to hang out with... so that kind of sucks. There are days I get so frustrated and depressed when I'm literally stuck...

Have you thought about supplementing your college with online courses? I know it's not the same, but you could probably get through it a little quicker and have something else to do in your free time, or if you aren't feeling well, you would have more time at home. I'm working on my Master's online, and it has helped quite a bit with the bleh feeling, and I can work through stuff at my own pace, which is really nice.

I have also found music to be very therapeutic :) I sing and play the flute. Not too many playing flute around here, but it makes me unique I guess! Also, do you do any exercise type activities? I know that also helps me (though I keep getting injured, so that has been frustrating - hoping to get back to running next week after a six week layoff). The feeling of accomplishment really helps bring things into perspective and give you something else to focus on.

ANYWAYS, now that I've written an essay - I hope that you can find other things to help you feel better. I've also found this board to be REALLY helpful and feel less isolated since so many other people are dealing with the same thing (misery loves company??? Just kidding).

The nice thing about most of endocrinology is that the causes are mostly understood. This part of medicine is no longer the scary frontier that neurology continues to be. A hundred years ago if you were diagnosed with type 1 diabetes it was a fatal condition until Frederick Banting discovered how helpful insulin was. It is possible they might be able to reverse diabetes.

Research is available if you want to participate for anything: (enter your own suggestions)
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/...ype+1&recr=Recruiting&gndr=Male&age=1&rank=68
I've participated in trials for epilepsy, diabetes and depression.

Hopefully research in neurology helps us make some awesome discoveries in the neurological field. Get involved and help figure these things out!

I need to remember to look on the bright side of life. I need to remind myself of all that has not happened to me. I want to be happy and enjoy my life whatever it may be. There are many many people in far worse condition than myself who are happy and have been for thousands of years. I am so grateful I was not born in the era where you were stoned to death because of seizures, I don't have a multitude of other diseases, that I have a computer, that I can usually make up a list to make myself feel like I should enjoy my awesome life.

Feel free to shoot me a line. I know how you feel. I have type 1 diabetes (with a pump), epilepsy (complex partial), asthma (the attacks dont get too bad...unless I get a cold) and a genetic bone disorder. I feel isolated because I cant drive. In NSW, Australia, it is hard for epileptics to get a licence.
Journalling is great. I've gotten into something to fill in some time (I like being creative)
Dont think you are alone with thinking "what if I get sick when I'm out" I do the same thing. My parents are wonderful in that aspect.

Chin up n keep smiling

Last edited:
Wow, that is rough. i have mild asthma too, but only really affects me when i get a cold/chest infection so its nothing compared to my diabetes and epilepsy.
People like you are an inspiration, thank you for contacting me, so glad to hear from you.
drop me a line too if i can ever help you.
if i had one wish, id cure us all :-(

You got me in tears guy. 'Cure us all'... oh that is so giving.
I don't have diabetes but it is the one thing I cross my fingers about every year when tested. They do however think I have hypothyroidism and want me on meds (I'm making them do the testing one more time to be sure - but it's likely as it runs in my family. Fucking genetics!!!!!) So that will be four meds for me too.
Sounds like E started for you at 15? Me too. Teenagehood did NOT go the way it was supposed to did it, like if this had to happen why not at least later in life so we could have focused on all the hard things like hormones and finishing school and just basically maturing as normal.
VERY LARGE HUGS to you my dear, this is going to be a long ride and we're all here for you. xxx

I do have hypothyroid in addition to E and Type 1 diabetes, also. I've taken Synthroid for years, in addition to lots of other meds. Thyroid problems do run in my family. My daughter lost half of her thyroid and she just turned 30. Sometimes I also have to use an inhaler because I have the VNS, and shortness of breath/wheezing can be a side effect of the VNS. My son grew up with a bad case of asthma, so I always had access to inhalers and a nebulizer.

i gather it not uncommon to have both.i known a few people who have...
you having a rough trot..life a bitch but you got get through it as you can and diabetic councillor may be good start..you dont say where you from but if you a brit there a charity called 'contact a family'they good start in finding the right place to start looking

If you look, Cazzy, in upper, right hand corner, it does say C0nn0rCh0sen is from Minnesota, USA. But if you're talking to me, I do see an endocrinologist, specializing in diabetes & thyroid disorders. He is at the same hospital as my epileptologist.

Back
Top Bottom