Epilepsy and Heredity

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Blessed

New
Reaction score
I apologize if this topic has been discussed here previously. As a mother of 3, I am very concerned that my sons are more likely to develop epilepsy than the general population. My oldest son is now 12 and since I had my first seizure during puberty, I am watching him very closely. I know there are no guarantees and my pediatrician has been evasive. Does anyone have information on those statistics?

epilepsy and genetics

Stacy's maternal blood line has a long history of epilepsy. Whether it's genetic, environmental or something else I don't know, but thankfully neither of our children have exhibited any epileptic activity.

It can "SKIP" a generation, but also my
Neurologist had informed me if there's a
"denominate" gene make up, it can mutate
the inferior gene and correct itself, and they
(Neuroscience and Science) are still studying
into this Genetic & DNA Make-Up.

My son has some of my genetic inherited
neurological problems; fortunately not all of
them - which is good news! (whew!)

The HARD PART IS:
I am adopted and not much is known about
either side of my birth mother or father!

-------------------------------------

I belong to several Neuroscience Groups
and to several Neuroscience Subscriptions
and here's the latest but I cannot post the
info or link here as it requires a log-in and
registration, etc:

They are able to "correct" these Genetic & DNA
errors in MICE at this moment, but not able
to do much else beyond that. Maybe some day
in the future: Medical Science will be able to
fix and correct things before it even starts
where handicap babies will become a thing of
the past!

SO THERE IS HOPE!

It's ok to post a link to premium content. Just let folks know it's only for subscribers. Folks can make up their own mind if they want to subscribe/register to see it. :)

Thank you Bernard:

NOTE: some articles / journals / abstracts are free:
others can be downright COSTLY!

The first link posted is brand new,
The next one following is the only one
that will permit a person who does
not have a degree to register.

I am unable to post the others as they
require those to have degrees.

==========

The 3rd one is a popular site if you
are not aware of:

Nature.com - New & Very Updated & Extensive:
Also allows email and options; has abstracts, PDF,
text, additional resource info
http://www.nature.com

Blackwell Synergy
http://www.blackwellsynergy.com

Known as PubMed:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?amp=&amp=&db=pubmed&portalrelocation=false

heredity

My blood line is a bit crazy. I've been told (no solid proof other than several people telling me) that on my mother's side, my bloodline traces back to Martha Custis Washington (wife of George..2nd marriage with daughter before that). Anyway, I have Epilepsy, my mother had it, her brother had it, and it skipped my grandmother, who was perfectly normal... well, in that respect. My grandmother's mother had it and was able to get rid of it via vitamin B.

I do know that in 1773, "Patsy" Custis Washington (Martha's girl, adopted by George) died of Epilepsy. (my mother's name was Patricia, but she hated "Patsy").

Basically, it is possible for Epilepsy to skip a generation or two. If you take good care of yourself and your kids, then the chances are much more slim that they will have our problems.

Bernie... I do see our oldest zoning out once in a while. No one noticed my Epilepsy until I was 12 years old. Wish us luck.

Back
Top Bottom