Epilepsy effecting your hand writing

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted to know if anyone else has noticed a change in their handwriting before and after they had epilepsy? I found some things that I'd written before I had epilepsy. The letters were prefect, spaced out evenly, in a strait line and so on.

Now my writing, if you know the saying, "Looks like a dr wrote it". It's not quite that bad but there are some things I can't make out. When something is written on a piece of paper without lines each sentence will slide up or slide down.

At times I'll even mess up the letter that I'm writing. For example I'll want to write a 'b' but I'll write it as a 'd'. My spelling has never been good so I can't blame epilepsy on that. Now though I might mess up a simple word that's easy to spell like 'breakfast'. I might leave out a letter, add and extra one or put one in front of another. I'll write the sentence wrong and put a word where it shouldn't be. There are so many scratched out things that I've written on a piece of paper with something else written beside it.

If I'm writing something, that doesn't need to be actually hand written, I'll do it on the computer. I've got spell check and I'm able to rewrite a sentence if I can.

I was having problems with my phone and had a bunch of things that I wanted to tell them about what was going on and have answers if he asked a question. I typed them up on the computer, mainly so I wouldn't forget. I did it that way too so that I'd be able to not have a written list with half the page scratched out. I know the salesman thought I was a bit crazy for coming in with a type written 'Problem Paper' but I was able to give him all the info he needed and I didn't leave anything out.

My writing has always been messy, was messy at school and is now but you can still read it lol.
But when I have a seizure if I try to write something anytime during the seizureeither while Im in it or when Im still coming out of it then whatever I write will be gibberish. Sometimes it will just words muddled up but other times it will be full on gibberish where it will take time to make sense.

I was having problems with my phone and had a bunch of things that I wanted to tell them about what was going on and have answers if he asked a question. I typed them up on the computer, mainly so I wouldn't forget. I did it that way too so that I'd be able to not have a written list with half the page scratched out. I know the salesman thought I was a bit crazy for coming in with a type written 'Problem Paper' but I was able to give him all the info he needed and I didn't leave anything out.

I wouldve done the same thing if I was having issues with my phone & made notes, otherwise who knows if id have remembered everything.
Anytime I have to talk to someone I make notes.

Hi CQ,

My handwriting was fine and so was my spelling but after I had the surgery it went down hill my handwriting looks like
chicken scratch and there are times when I look at a word and it doesn't look like it's spelled right so I often look it up
in the dictionary to be sure. I can't help but wonder if one reason my handwriting has gotten so bad is because I'm always
typing on the computer. I find writing in cursive a lot better than printing it takes me way to long if I print my writing.
Wishing you only the best and May God Bless You,

Sue

I have issues with hand tremors mostly due to medication.
If someone is watching write something or sign my name the shaking is even worse. It’s frustrating for me, and painful for others to watch.

If someone is watching write something or sign my name the shaking is even worse. It’s frustrating for me, and painful for others to watch.

I have this happen too. It might stop or ease up a little while after I get used to having someone watching me.

I'll even start shaking at times while I'm writing something important, and it could just be writing something down when I'm talking on the phone, no one has to be there watching. It's like I'm nervous about doing it.

Back
Top Bottom