Epilepsy, employment, and EEO/ADA

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Eggbertx

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a few questions about epilepsy possibly affecting hiring eligibility. For some background, I'm currently in college majoring in computer science, since I've been working with computers pretty much all my life. Because of my epilepsy (tonic-clonic seizures) I'm effectively unable to drive. Unfortunately however, a lot of computer repair jobs (something I would be very good at) require being able to drive. In most cases, it seems like that would be the only thing holding me back.

With that in mind, would I be able to have a potential employer excuse that because this is a medical condition? How (if at all) would EEO (Equal Employment Opertunity) or the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) factor in to this?
My epileptologist told me at one point that while my epilepsy isn't severe, it might be possible for me to apply for some kind of disability benefits. If I did that, would that affect any of this? Would I be put on any kind of restrictions that I don't have already?

If anyone here is or has been a hiring manager, that would be especially helpful.

Last edited:
I don't know what EEO or ADA are, so will leave that part of your post to someone else. However, doesn't your resulting degree as a computer science major include knowledge of programming/software as well as hardware (the latter being my interpretation of your word "repair")? If so, I'm willing to bet that there are IT type jobs out there that do not require driving. For instance large corporations and institutions (eg. hospitals) typically require IT person(s) on site, since it is critical to have properly functioning computers at all times.

With that in mind, would I be able to have a potential employer excuse that because this is a medical condition?
Not sure what you mean by "excuse" here. Do you mean find ways to accommodate you so that you don't have to drive? This link explains what kinds of accommodations employers may be required to make: http://www.epilepsy.com/get-help/ma...nt-living/employment/reasonable-accomodations

Additional info here about disclosing epilepsy to an employer or potential employer: http://www.epilepsy.com/get-help/ma...iving-epilepsy/employment/disclosing-epilepsy

Applying for epilepsy-related disability benefits is a separate issue. The process is complicated, and most people get rejected the first time around. You probably don't want to go that route at this point, but you can read a bit about the requirements here: http://www.disability-benefits-help.org/disabling-conditions/epilepsy-and-social-security-disability

That's a difficult situation to be in, I'm actually in a similar predicament myself. Nakamova provided some good resources, but I would like to expand on that.
I'm a receptionist in a Human Resources office and while I am not an expert myself (I am just the receptionist after all), I have taken hiring training courses from experts on employment laws.
Reasonable accommodation varies. Ex: A manager wants to hire a qualified candidate to work in their warehouse. Although they have experience with most of the job duties, they are a small, comparatively weak person. Once a day, each worker is required to lift and carry a 150lb. barrel outside. Since it is a once a day activity, and not a core job function, having someone else move the barrel is considered a reasonable accommodation and if they denied the candidate on that basis, they would be open for lawsuit. However, if lifting this barrel was an hourly task, and thus a core job function, they could deny the candidate on that basis. (Note: They would need to state this as a core job function before hiring and ask the applicant if they could complete all job functions, as direct inquiries relating to health are illegal. If the applicant stated they were capable, they would have to either not hire them on different grounds, or fire them for not completing the job duties)

To apply it to your situation: It sounds like you're describing a Geek Squad type position where people drive from the main location to people's homes to fix whatever is wrong. Unfortunately, eliminating the driving requirement would not be a reasonable accommodation. It would be similar to a pizza delivery person not having transport. People expect quick service, which is often unattainable without driving. Public transport and walking simply aren't viable for this type of position. However, there could be exceptions. For example, if this company had their workers go in pairs, it would be a reasonable accommodation to only have the other person drive. If the position says it requires driving for another reason such as occasionally picking up parts or something, then it may also be reasonable accommodation.

Employers should not ask if you have a car or if you drive unless it is directly related. If you don't believe driving is an essential function, just tell them you have reliable transportation. Asking directly about car ownership and non-necessary DL opens them up to class discrimination lawsuit.

**Please do not take my word as gospel, I am fairly new to learning about these laws and my information may not hold up to what is practiced in real life applications. I work for local government, so we abide by these laws to the T and private sector employers may not be as forgiving. Let me know if you have more questions. :)

Hi. I had completed my BS degree w/a double major in Economics and Information Decision Sciences. About a year later, I began having Complex Partials, which has prevented me using my degree. I had wanted and tried to work, but after 3 or 4 VERY scary occurrences w/Complex Partials, my family & I said "forget it".
--In one instance, I was at the train station, & if another person hadn't been there, I'd have fallen onto the tracks!
--In another, I exited my office building, & then the next thing I knew, I was 'coming to' at the hospital!

Fauna,
You described the employment issues so well. I was fired after not being able to do my job even after asking for accommodations. It makes sense now and I finally got on disability after many years. I can still work about 12 days or less a month. It took a long time and the steps were all in place and I had help and an attorney. Thank you I think it will help other people with epilepsy. Jean

Nobody wants to hire someone with epilepsy, if they know you have it. Go into a job interview and ace it. If you have a seizure at home, by all means do not tell your employer and co-workers that you had one. If you have a seizure at work, pursue medication and diagnosis. Otherwise, they'll think that you're a drunkard.

Back
Top Bottom