Epileptic patient can travel to higher altitude

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Sen

New
Reaction score
Case History: I am 27 years old married woman. i have seizure disorder problem which was 1st diagnosed on July,2006. I was taking medicine Oxitol 300mg twice per day and in 2009 stopped to take that medicine after getting MRI and EEG report normal as doctor said. But in July, 2014 again an attack happened. I had consulted with doctor and had done MRI and EEG again. My MRI report is normal but EEG report is weak (showing seizure disorder). Doctor gave meVinlep 300mg twice per day. i have been taking the same medicine from july last week, 2014. I consulted another doctor for a second opinion, he said it is not so severe., by seeing the reports.

Question: I am planning to visit Ladakh, India which is in higher altitude ( 9,000 to 18,000 feet above sea level) on September, 20014 . Is it safe to above mentioned this altitude having epilepsy.
Please suggest me kindly what to do?

Sen

There is nothing safe about anything in this world but just because you have epilepsy does not mean you cannot travel, I have no idea if the high altitude will be a trigger for you or not, the only one who is going to be able to tell that is you. So enjoy yourself and let us know how you get on.

Hi Sen and welcome to CWE.

This forum was made out of love by Bernard for his wife Stacy. That love permeates throughout the whole forum.

I took an airplane ride once. It did not cause me to have any seizures.

But, like Fedup said, only you will know if it is a trigger for you if you go.

What is a trigger for one person is not a trigger for another person.

Have fun and tell us about your trip when you come back!!

Back
Top Bottom