Essential Oils & Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

WhitneyLB

New
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been struggling since October with Lamotrigine. I was on Lamictal for 8 happy years. Had a few seizures, mostly due to me being a stupid kid at the time (I've grown up since then). Point is...my insurance company dropped coverage for Lamictal because there is a generic version. I was initially open to trying generic, 1) Why not? and 2) Kind of felt like I had no other choice. I am now miserable. The transition was tough and lingered for about a month, and for about 2-3 months after I was feeling good again. But somehow within this past month it's been wearing me down and I'm feeling helpless again.

I'm currently undergoing an appeal with said insurance. I've been doing so much research, but I can't believe I didn't think of asking anybody on here. One of the options I've stumbled upon is essential oils. A friend of mine suggested it; she uses them herself, yet not for the same reason. I'm not one for Western medicine, but right now I'm grasping at straws. I've looked up frankincense oil and it can help with seizures and epilepsy. Has anybody ever tried using essential oils to help?

I have tried it & still have a huge collection of oils. I do enjoy them but found no healing effect for my seizures or any other medical issue- Relaxation on the other hand is what I've found them to be great for.

There are certain oils that I was told will help & others that will hinder seizures but I found none of this to be true.

Me too. I am affected by the oils and have a number of them. I like them but have no experience yet with the seizures and smells.

Regarding essential oils and seizures: The only common thread between my last three seizures was essential oils. I only discovered the possible link between essential oils and seizures by accident about a week ago. After doing a little homework I discovered that there are some EO's that have what they call convulsant properties and some that have anti-convulsant properties. As it turns out my last three seizures occurred while breathing concentrated diffused Cedar and Sage essential oils both are "convulsant". I'm thinking about attempting to induce a seizure at home with one of these oils.

Back
Top Bottom