Evenin'

RED_

New
Reaction score
Hi there,

Finally decided to do more research into my epilepsy and it got me here. Seems active and a decent place to discuss things. I'll probably start a thread about it all in the next few days. No idea what type of epilepsy i have but i know that they only happen when im asleep and i have no recollection of them. For example i had one last night and my mum tells me that she tried to wake me up and that my eyes were open etc but i would have never known about it if she didnt tell me.

The only way i can tell if its happened is from muscles getting stiffer and i tend to bite my tongue which means when i wake up the next morning there are massive bits of by tongue missing. Struggling to eat solid food at the moment because of it. Real nightmare. Anyway like i said i'll probably open another thread in the right place about it.

Last edited:

epileric

Veteran
Reaction score
Welcome to the club Red

It does sound like you've got tonic/clonic (grand mal) seizures from the stiffness & biting of your tongue. This might give you guys a better idea of what kind(s) of seizures you've been having http://www.webmd.com/epilepsy/guide/types-of-seizures-their-symptoms

I know the few times I've bitten my tongue I rinse with salt water. It burns but it heals faster when I do that.

Nakamova

Super Moderator / Thank You Queen
Reaction score
Hi RED, welcome!

You've come to the right place -- lot's of good company, advice and support here.

When I've bitten my tongue during a seizure, I've found that only the mildest of foods would do, and nothing acidic. Hard-boiled eggs was one of the few solid foods I could deal with.

I hope you feel better soon.

Best,
Nakamova

huskymom

New
Reaction score
Good Morning RED!

Welcome! I too have only nocturnal seizures. I have only bitten my tongue badly once....not fun. I usually will bite my lips and on the best nights (sarcastic) I will wet the bed! How do you feel the next day? I am so sore that I can barely move and my mind is foggy. Best of luck to you!! :hello:

RED_

New
Reaction score
Good Morning RED!

Welcome! I too have only nocturnal seizures. I have only bitten my tongue badly once....not fun. I usually will bite my lips and on the best nights (sarcastic) I will wet the bed! How do you feel the next day? I am so sore that I can barely move and my mind is foggy. Best of luck to you!! :hello:
I feel fine the next day, my tongue hurts but thats it.

Last edited:

Chris515

New
Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Red, welcome to the forum.

I have nocturnal seizures as well. The next morning I am so weak I can barely walk, my tongue is killing from biting it and then I throw up for about an hour or so.

But I figure the best place to have a tonic clonic is in bed.. except when you fall out of bed and hit your head on the night stand. Last time I did that I ended up in hospital for a lot of stitches.

Well again welcome to the forum, there's a lot of great people here and a ton of information.

Chris