Exercise & Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I've been reading about exercising and seizures. For a long time after my seizure I was terrified of walking again cause I was afraid I'd have anothe seizure. Now everyone is different of course and you SHOULD consult with your doctor before starting any exercise routine when you suffer from seizures but walking can actually benefit you and may improve epilepsy. The article states that walking can help you and that it's rare for a seizure to occur during exercise but like I said, everyone's different & consult your doctor.

I started walking again on July 17th and I've been walking 12 days and it's really making a difference in how I feel. And I have asthma on top of everything else but it is usually allergy related, however sometimes exercise can trigger it, depending. However I've been walking everyday and it is making me feel so much better.

Go to betterhealth.gov & look up epilepsy and exercise. Can't post links yet, sheesh, how long do you have to be here to post links?

Good!

I've been using Map My Fitness and My Tracks (both apps for Droid) to keep up with my running. I started running (again) 5 months after my first seizure, and I am recovering from another.

I think it does really depend on the person. Some days I just can't exert myself, even on a light basis. I think at least walking or some form of exercise can really help most, I think extreme workouts might trigger a seizure. Stress mentally can cause they and if the body is breathing at a high rate, the mind seems to mistake that for panic.

Personally, I think it has to do with heart/breathing rates when it comes to exercise being a trigger. Typically when it's low impact and slower paced exercise, people seem to be fine. Walking is a great example :)

A sharp increase in breathing rate can freak out your nervous system like hyperventilation does. Hyperventiliation is often used during EEGs to trigger seizures, so it's not a huge leap to think it'd do the same when you're exercising. :)

The article states that walking can help you and that it's rare for a seizure to occur during exercise but like I said, everyone's different & consult your doctor.

:ponder:.... Interesting that the article states that seizures are rare during exercise, as I find it isn't rare for a seizure to occur while exercising for me. I've even went into TC's while walking several times. Any type of stress on the body can induce a seizure for some folks, even walking. But that hasn't happened in a long time and I never did let it stop me from walking/exercising. I had a trainer just a few year ago and he even witnessed several CP seizures, but we didn't let that stop me from exercising completely.

However I've been walking everyday and it is making me feel so much better.

Getting those endorphins (runner's high) going is what walking/exercise does. Exercise is good for the brain.

I used to walk a mile a day, before I started having problems with my back, and I never had any problems. I kept it at a slower pace. It usually took about 20 min to go a mile.

I have found a recumbent bike in my living room with someone nearby is good for me right now. I was a runner before all of this- still need to get body stronger before trying that dr said. Also walking is rough on my back right now. It is helping me get my weight down...which has been a problem

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom