Extremely emotional before and after a TC?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Does anyone else get incredibly emotional before and after a TC? Holy Mother of God I absolutely lose the plot! I thought it was because of Keppra at first but good Lord, this can't my Keppra as it happens every single time.

I either get incredibly weepy or weepy on top of my gelastic laughing seizures which can be pretty funny but it's almost painful when that combination happens.

After a seizure I just cry for maybe 30 seconds and then I'm done except if I watch some sort of emotional movie or something (The Notebook has been absolutely banned at our flat once I've seized haha).

Does his happen to anyone else?

Oh yes. With me it's usually after the more severe seizures. I get extremely emotional, my feelings get hurt very easily not to mention how confused I get & how likely I am to misinterpret what people say.

After seizures like that I do tend to want to be alone just because I know I don't interact well.

Recently I've noticed that I sometimes get very anxious or upset about something before a large seizure. I tried to use that as a warning but I'm so caught up in the emotion I don't stop to realize that I might be more emotional than usual.

for being a guy i do as well its quite embarrassing to break down in front of people but it acxtually makes it worst i noticed which sucks even more.

I'm so glad I'm not alone :/ I was giving a mock treatment team presentation for a group of lower level psychology students yesterday and in the middle of it a colleague showed a video clip from YouTube that was a bit sad (talking about geriatric patients) but I started a laughing seizures (lasted maybe a minute, then crying on top of it (for maybe 1.5 muinutes), then I dropped like a stone. My fellows knew what to do and one was able to keep me from completely stiffing to the floor but she couldn't stop me from banging my chin off the table we were standing in front of - owwww : ( - and I freaked the sh!t out of our student group. I woke up to paramedics...broke two fingers (no big deal as I've broken them all one seizure or another) but the "blue brigade" was called because my face, nose, and tongue were allbleeding copiously. The 'medics know me and when they came in they said, "Hey Seize! It's been a while- we missed you!" then got to work on my face, nose, tongue and set my fingers.

Last edited:
Aww poor Seize! that sounds horrible! I'm glad i have bad aura's so I don't end up breaking something.

And I'm actually on the opposite end. my emotions generally go dead.

I usually have my normal tingling/very dreading nasty feeling auras where I can easily get somewhere safe- they give me 5-10 minutes- but these do crop up pretty often. Wretched. I'm still recovering.

Epileric I'm right there with you on the misinterpreting words and easily hurt feelings. I often get upset at others as well- the kind people who've just looked after me get a dose of angry to sad right away..."Go awaaaaaay!! Get away from me! I never asked for your help. I don't need your help. I'm not stupid. I had a seizure didn't I...I hate epilepsy." :*(

AC do you ever tell people it's because you have epilepsy? Sometimes I can explain/apologise for my odd behaviours before the seizure starts but there's no avoiding it after.

Aleeyah, I wish I had no emotions- mine are allll over the place. Do you wish you had the emotional responses or are you completely fine with being robotic? I'd choose robotic haha Being that emotional is NOT normal for me; I get sniffy at sad movies and and laugh at comedies, etc. All normal. But damn, a seizure's coming and it's like every car y emotion out there just haaas to make an appearance haha

You should see my bruises- EPIC. ;p
I am sporting a bandage beneath my chin and nose...stupid fecking table :p

Last edited:
My tc's are almost always nocturnal, so I can't say how I feel before. but in the morning.. I get extremely upset. And significant depression usually follows for a week or so.

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. I am also all over the place emotionally! Just yesterday I went off on a patient at work (in my defense she was pushing my buttons) and I am not the type of person who would ever do that. Fortunately I have an understanding boss :) But I feel like such a basket case sometimes. It's the worse when it gets close to my period. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get control of this?

My neuro thought this was interesting actually; I take both Keppra and Lamictal and while I've heard many stories about weepy Keppra-takers, my neurologist said Lamictal is a mood stabiliser as well as an AED so it should help. I took it before I started on Keppra so it's funny as it certainly doesn't do its job at all! haha

My neuro thought this was interesting actually; I take both Keppra and Lamictal and while I've heard many stories about weepy Keppra-takers, my neurologist said Lamictal is a mood stabiliser as well as an AED so it should help. I took it before I started on Keppra so it's funny as it certainly doesn't do its job at all! haha

I am on lamictal as well and I am so very emotional after a T-C. I had one 2 days ago and it just hit me today that I could die from this (fairly new diagnosis) so I called my kid's dad sobbing asking him to promise me he will raise our boys right if I die. Yyyeeeeaaaah. I can hear how pitiful I am but I can't stop it! :-(

A mood stabilizer??? Only if it is suppose to keep you stable at emotional unstable :) I started on Keppra and was taking 2000mg a day. I never felt so crazy until I started lamictal! My neuro also claims the lamictal isn't the problem, he suggested I see a psyciatrist...just as every doctor I've tried to seek help from.

HAHA Arc! I feel the same way a lot of the time and yeah, apparently neuros saw more stable moods in their newly diagnosed patients that were having serious problems swallowing their E diagnosis (completely understandable) and then they noticed that their patients who had BiPolar were feeling better as well. Now, after trials, they haven't just been using it as an AED but have also made it a common mood stabiliser as well. Who'd have thought? Haha

Oh my, when I first started the Keppra I thought I had suffered some sort of brain damage or something after my status. ANYTHING would make me cry (Planet Earth's primate section- I am terrified of monkeys but I was crying because "I felt bad for not liking them because had they ever done to me and I was so mean for not liking them"- and a Trident chewing gum ad sent me into hysterics because "the fellow at the end looks sooooo sad as he says "No one ever pays me in gum!.)

I cried quarts at everything! Now I have a few "Keppra Moments" per week but I am usually rather *decent* hahaha

Well minus before and after my seizures!! Again, so glad I'm not alone!

Last edited:
LOL seizurrific! I do the same thing a lot. I'm always crying about something silly on TV especially after a real good seizure. Although lately it seems like its all the time. My son just shakes his head at me :) It seems like I felt much better at the beginning doses but unfortunately it wasn't enough to control my seizures at all. Of course, i may have been a basket case then but just don't remember...you know how that is, right?

This forum is amazing to me. I just came across it a couple days ago but it is such a relief that there are people out there that are going through the same thing and understand. It is a huge relief to know I'm not alone!!!

Does anyone else get incredibly emotional before and after a TC?

Like crazy. Starts the second I realize that the person telling me I had one is right, usually when I try to talk and hear that it's babble. Instant bawling. 'Oh my god, again? AGAIN? Nooooooooo!!!'
Knowing life is turned upside down once again (no license, new meds, feeling lost/scared/depressed all the time for months after), I just cry and cry, and yeah, a lot of self pity too. How the hell do you not? I've read some people on here who just 'take it as it comes' and are happy enough to be alive every day, but I can't do it. Anyone who can feel that way is very fortunate, me I'm a bawling mess.

In a way I'll admit too that it's comforting to hear different guys say they get emotional as well; makes it feel like we're all united in how hard this is, regardless of age or sex, opposed to it feeling like a weepy female thing.

Nope never,when i was younger seventeen,just diagnosed id be totaly gutted,even up to the age of twenty five,twenty six id be like thats eight months down the drain if i had one.I dont know if its because im older thirty six,and have just come to terms with it after eighteen years or the fact ive had so many i just dont know.It just seems to be one of those things now,dont get me wrong,id still love to be shot off it,but that just aint going to happen,is it?

Actualy i did have a good cry many years ago when i got sacked for having the crime off suffering from Epilepsy,but i suppose we are all human.

:(

If it makes you feel better I had a gelastic, laughing, seizure during a (heh.. incredibly formal) job interview, which turned very quickly into a really violent tonic-clonic, and of course it wouldn't have been a real party without a minute straight of tears. I did bring an extra skirt though, which turned out to be a great idea, so we finished the interview on the floor, and the recruiter who had a brother with E apparently, drove me home.

RecruiterMan was pretty much like, "Oh, you're covered in your own piss? Bahhh, no big deal! Seen this before!" so he was rooting the whole way with the hiring process. But no dice; I wasn't particularly surprised...

Typical for that fuse to blow at a job interview,well shitty,i tell you this i wasnt greeting when i took the b$%&*%&s for six grand for unfair dismissal a year later,hmmmmm but that soon dissapeared,nice while it lasted though.

neil, that unfair dismissal wasn't anything to do with E was it?

Back
Top Bottom