Feeling all alone.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
hey guys I m new to a traumatic brain injury I just got out of the hospital again they added keppra to all my other medications. now I'm taking 2000 of keppra 400 dilantin and 200 lamictal. is this a lot for seizure medication? I feel really sleepy and lonely I'm scared can someone please help me?

Well it can sure sound alot to some. Ive taken Keppra and Carbatrol for years, til I had a VEEG and got down to one, which is Keppra XR right now. But Ive been having seizures again, and I will be seeing a neuro on March 19 to go over things. I may need to add another medication to that. The point is that if you need the medication to control your seizures, then its worth it. I know its scary adding more medications. If there is anything we can do to help, just ask away! We are here for you! :)

It does seem like a lot of meds -- but everyone's different, and has different needs for seizure control as well as different tolerances for side effects. You should discuss your meds with your neurologist, and ask whether you have the option to reduce any of the doses in the hopes of minimizing your fatigue. It's possible that the doc might be open to your tapering off the Dilantin (which is the oldest of the three meds, and can affect bones and gums over time).

Any time you're concerned about meds and/or side effects, let your doc know -- don't suffer in silence -- and feel free to check in here of course.

Best,
Nakamova

It does sound daunting but as Nakamova said you need to tell your doctor if you are not able to function in silence. I have been to my neurologist on many occasions and we are always changing the dosages depending on what's going on. I also had a traumatic head injury which is when my stuff started. It takes getting used to and strength but you can do it :) Just make sure you are listening to your body. If it doesn't feel right, speak up

I think it is worth it. But I do agree, if I could do anything else to make it go away I would. But it sounds like you are doing the right thing and I applaud you for it. I'm only about 4 years into it at the age of 39. It scares me awful. I'm on alot of keppra as well. It makes me tired and I've suffered from not driving. Stay strong. Let me know how it goes tomorrow. Just got a seizure induced yesterday. Those suck :) Take care

Back
Top Bottom