First Post - coping

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to this forum and just thought joining would give me an outlet to vent and get to grips with things.....
i guess everyone on here knows that epilepsy is just something you have a part of you but it doesn't make who you are...why is it some people dont understand this and i end up being labled the epileptic??

I have fully come to accept it and dont sulk about it,,, not like i could make a change but sometimes it does beat you down. theres nothing worse then the feeling after having a seizure and thinking great its happened again...im embaressed,,physically and mental exhausted and wanna go and hide.

does anyone feel the same as me ,, and what do you do to snap yourself back into lifes routine again ?

Hiya Amy. I think you're gonna find that the responses, probably ALL off 'em, are gonna be pretty much like mine :

"yep, I've felt that way many-a-time"

The only way I find to snap out of it is to simply accept that it's happened. I know for a fact that the more I dwell on it, the more likely I'll have another. So I just gotta do my best to accept it, and get on with my life to the best of my ability.

I think we've all been labelled 'the epileptic' in the past, if not still (by some ignorant parts of society). Feel sorry for those people that want to label you....they are merely insulting there own reflection, and must feel alot of sadness and anger inside them that they have to label/offend others. Maybe one day they'll have a life exciting enough to concentrate on, maybe not.

Take care, and feel free at any time to rant off, or join in with other posts - everybody's welcome here

:cheers:

thanks, i think accepting it was my way of being able to carry on. i dont think i could go on being normal if i hadnt accepted it the moment i was diagnosed, and whats great only being 16 is everyone is more or less(with the few dicks as i mentioned who label you) accepting and different ,,,,no shame! my close friends are the ones who help me through most of the time but they can only understand how i feel to a certain degree.

taking lamotrogine,lamictal at the moment but my doses keep increasing as im still having my seizures :(:(:( x

Last edited:
I think you're gonna find that the responses, probably ALL off 'em, are gonna be pretty much like mine :

"yep, I've felt that way many-a-time"

:agree:

I have a knack of embarrassing myself just at the wrong time, I have been doing so for 20 years so I have had a lot of practice to get it right.

People are very ignorant about epilepsy, but they mostly just end up making themselves look silly. We have all experienced that from time to time.

Everybody here are in the same boat so it is a great place to vent, laugh and chill

Hi Amy
The medication did not work for my daughter and we are seeing far better results from nutritional changes and neurofeedback.

I am sure you will find information here that will improve your situation.

Amy, I was diagnosed about the same time you were but am MUCH older than you are! I think it just takes time and we have to do our best to stay positive (which includes surrounding ourselves with other positive people). Mine seem to be pretty well controlled right now but from reading what others on this board have written, sometimes it just takes time.

I have multiple disabilities and have always had a lot of motivation to do as much as possible. Even thought this, I sometimes feel run down by epilepsy or seizures especially when i haven't had one in a week or so. The longest time i've gone without a seizure is one month which felt like forever. I was almost waiting around for a seizure to happen but was really happy and surpirzed when nothing happened.
The last seizure I had, my friend stopped me from walking around too much because I had a complex partial seizure where I wandered around! Those are my more severe seizures as i say. Sometiems my complex partials can last 40 sec to 3mins. After those i do feel embarassed and want to crawl somewhere and hide from it. Its really hard to deal with seizures sometimes but i always know it could be worse. Out of blindness and hearing impairment, epilepsy is the hardest to deal with in my opion.. But after 19 years of seizures its still hard to get used to.
take care everyone
and welcome Amy

hi Amy! Been there, felt that. :) for me, the worst thing is when I wet myself....you see, I'm a high school teacher. So nothing could be more embarrassing then wetting yourself in front of the class....:)

First of all, Welcome! :)

:agree: with Skilly.

It can get hard to get back up, dust yourself off, and keep on going after seizures. Please know you are not alone in your feelings. Feel free to vent about it whenever you need to.

The "Padded Room" on this forum is great for that! People here offer great support and cyber-hugs.

Take care. Wishing you a seizure free weekend!
-Julie

Hi AmyMelissa, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Learning that you are not invincible or perfect is a lesson some people learn early and others learn later. It's part of the journey to maturity. Folks who label people by their challenges haven't quite learned that lesson yet IMO.

The good news is that their thoughts and actions do not define you. You get to chart the course of your ship. It's a big ocean - you don't have to stay with the boats that are going in circles. :)

been near there and done nearly that. Then I began saluting fireman and EMTs.
Why, we never know which one came to save us. Talk to them about us, we are
some funny passengers. Ask about the battles they have with us. They love to talk about us Es, then give thanks to your lifeguard of the future.:mrt:

teen years

Hey: If it helps at all to hear teen years aren't without bumps for anyone. Ask any of your friends. Add to that changing medication and hormonal issues and Epilepsy....whew!!!!
There is so much more growing and learning and living to do though-so look forward Junior/Senior year, college, dances, dating.....whatever shines a light in the cave you can find yourself in from time to time. Maybe, even try using a journal to release some hostility and insecurities or fear of that may be weighing you down. It use to be for me a way to continue an upwardly mobile journey!!!! There will always be trials along-the-way but you'll find victory in the way you maneuver and progress........

Back
Top Bottom