Fish Oil & multi B -vitamins

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I take so many vitamins and suppliments I can't keep track of them all. I know B6, B12, E, and fish oil are among them. Actually, I do have a list of everything I take and how much of it, just not in front of me.:)

Bit of a silly question, but...I'm taking Keppra and, although I don't seem to be too irritable, I am having pronounced shifts in mood - B6 is supposed to help with this (I know B6 is good for depression).

So I am now taking a multi B vit complex - too early to say yet...

But I've also heard that too much B6 wil interfere (or can) with the Keppra!!

Does anyone know what is considered to be an optimal intake of B6 or, at least, how much is too much??? :ponder::e:

One controlled study revealed that taking anticonvulsant drugs dramatically reduces blood levels of vitamin B6.27 A nutritional deficiency of vitamin B6 can lead to an increase in homocysteine blood levels, which has been associated with atherosclerosis. Vitamin B6 deficiency is also associated with symptoms such as dizziness, fatigue, mental depression, and seizures. On the other hand, supplementation with large amounts of vitamin B6 (80–200 mg per day) has been reported to reduce blood levels of some anticonvulsant drugs, which could theoretically trigger seizures. People taking multiple anticonvulsant drugs should discuss with their doctor whether supplementing with vitamin B6 is advisable.
http://www.truestarhealth.com/Notes/1082009.html

I personally wouldn't hesitate giving it, and keeping a journal. Do a search on Keppra B6 and you will find many stories where it has helped. With a journal you will have a record to know whether or not it is increasing seizure activity, or helping.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I had my first seizure at two weeks old. I spent the first six months of my life in and out of hospital. Doctors were mystified by my illness. None of the ‘normal’ antiepileptic drugs that were administered had any positive effects. At this time I was having many ‘different types’ of seizures a day some of which went status. Countless tests were being done including, EEGs, lumber punctures… etc. A top pediatrician from the main city hospital told my mother that he was going to a meeting. He said he would talk about me in the hope that someone there would be able to help us. At this meeting there was a professor who was doing research into childhood epilepsy. He suggested a trial of Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (vitamin B6). Pyridoxine Hydrochloride was administered (I was five months old). Within two to three days my mother noticed a big difference in me. I’d stopped having severe seizures. Because of the positive effects that vitamin B6 had on my seizures the antiepileptic drugs were withdrawn (this all happened back in 1970-71). I’ve been taking Pyridoxine Hydrochloride on a daily bases ever since.

I owe my life to vitamin B6! Without Vitamin B6 I would either be mentally impaired due to severe seizure activity or worse. I probably would not have seen my first birthday.

when I was 19 years of age, after much research, I found and introduced a multi B complex to my medication. I have had my B complex tablets checked out at the hospital and they were safe for me to take. The B complex tablet stopped an aura that I was experiencing almost every morning.

Before I started taking the B complex tablet, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (vitamin B6) was the ONLY medication I used to control my seizures.

I have been using vitamin B6 to control my seizures for nearly 37 years. AEDs have never had any positive effects in controlling my seizures.

I have been approx. 17 years clear of all my major seizures using B vitamins only.

I also eat plenty of oily fish (Omega 3) and take a Magnesium supplement.

Pyridoxine Dependent Epilepsy is very rare.

Andrew

P.S. Do not alter your medication without your doctors concent.

Last edited:
Thank you,

I have started a journal today! :woot:

Will look to get a higher dosage B6 (my complex is just 10 micrograms) because I really do want to try and lessen the mood swings. I will talk to my doc first.

Back
Top Bottom