Fitbit causing seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Elysia

New
Reaction score
Hi All,

I had been seizure free without medicine for 10 years (before that I had several small, partial in one day and nothing else- no meds to control). I started wearing a Fitbit in November and 3 weeks later starting having mild, partial seizures. Has anyone else noticed a correlation? Mine are now controlled on medicine but it just has me thinking.

Hi Elysia, welcome to CWE!

I would say that it's very unlikely that the Fitbit would cause seizures. Here's what the FitBit folks have to say about it:
We've found the radiation emitted from Fitbit devices to be minimal. Consider that your tracker's power output is extremely low: less than 1% of the typical output power for a cell phone. Further, a good deal of research has been done in the field of Bluetooth radiation dangers to humans, and the consensus is that the 800MHz – 2 GHz radiation output of a Bluetooth device is negligible to users. In short, we do not believe there is any cause for worry when it comes to radiation from our devices.

Bluetooth radiation is considered far less bothersome than cell phone radiation. The amount of power driving the Bluetooth signal is so small that it would be no stronger than what you're exposed to with normal radio waves passing through the air. The signal is also transmitted throughout a space and not in a single, powerful beam.

Perhaps there were other stressors that coincided with when you started using the FitBit? Increased exercise, change in sleep patterns, or environmental stressors? Age-related metabolic or hormonal fluctations? Triggers can be elusive, but generally speaking, I would rule out the FitBit. (I've been wearing one for quite a few years with no issues.)

Best,
Nakamova

A Fitbit is an activity tracker. I wear the Fitbit Flex on my wrist to track steps, active minutes, and calories burned throughout the day. It also tracks sleep, which I find to be very useful. They can be found here in the US at most big box stores (Target, Best Buy, etc.) and on amazon.com in addition to their own website fitbit.com.

I wonder what the fitbit registers if one has a seizure? I wonder what it records? Just curious. I know lots of people addicted to wearing these things, and they live their lives in response to what it tells them.

My Fitbit is basically a glorified pedometer -- it only records how far I walk and how many stairs I climb.

Fitbit Flex a huge part of my days for two years now and seizures have not gotten worse. I have had many seizures and in all honesty never thought of checking to see what Fitbit recorded. Next seizure I will certainly hope I remember checking now...

Maybe people use them here I out of loop these days.If it got radiation in it I will pass.i don't walk very far so pedometer depress me reminding me I need do more exercise.Apart from coming on net I don't tend to know to many people with e and ones I do never mention Fitbit.If it telling you e activity could be good idea I don't even recall anyone with one at daughters school but don't mean they not had one

It has less radiation than your radio. Or your computer wifi connection. Or your cellphone.

Were you exercising more often or exerting yourself to get your 10,000 steps in? Maybe your body wasn't used to the extra activity and it caused a seizure? I've read exercising can be a trigger for some. I'm sorry it happened to you. ***hugs***.

So it not e thing just fancy pedometer .You can get app do same thing.You buy it a Amazon
Or if Brit can get it on NHS is it classed as medical?

Interesting. I only have the Flex, though, which doesn't measure heart rate.

How on earth did they find out his wife was pregnant from her Fitbit!?

I just seen Fitbit on to advert so we do have them then and not medical.i pass on it

I had more seizures when I wore a fitbit - only because I would pace around the house at 1130 at night trying to get those last steps in before it reset for the day! Wasn't the fitbits fault, just mine :).

It seems it cause more problems than it worth.This Fitbit tells you how many steps you got do a day.I sorry I pass all that money wear something like a watch brisk walk it free

Fitbit Epilepsy

Just bought a Fitbit Charge 2. Warning on instructions: Do not use if you have epilepsy as the device uses "pulse technology." Also, back of device has pulsing lights similar to strobe lights. I will ask my neuro on Monday to see if ok???

I had thought of getting a Fitbit to see how long I sleep but from what everyone is saying this changed my mind on it.

I often on train at school time one carriage,take life in your hands with them kids big bags beigger books swung everywhere.Every one got mob phone using them from one kid bottom of carriage tx phoning kids down other end got about 20kids doing that 50talking about sex life rather loudly others phone parents and other wanting to know gossip my goodness the swearing the rest playing candy crush or surfing.so 45mins all that zapped at Brain that lot of radioationz all got iPods.i remember a woman slapping a kid the fe adults clapped her.these kids got phone stuck on ear 24/7 nearly.Time will tell if the got brain shrivleling and mutation kids.mind you mutants kids we may be to late judging little monsters on school train

Hi All,

I had been seizure free without medicine for 10 years (before that I had several small, partial in one day and nothing else- no meds to control). I started wearing a Fitbit in November and 3 weeks later starting having mild, partial seizures. Has anyone else noticed a correlation? Mine are now controlled on medicine but it just has me thinking.
Elysia,

I received a FitBit flew2 just a week ago and finally got around to programming and wearing it two/three days ago. I just had to take it off about an hour ago. I could feel a full seizure coming on. It felt odd when I first started wearing it, like when I have (tried) to stop smoking and would wear a nicotine patch, I could tell something was different. I didnt shower with it on.. kind of scared me, that thought. But, after two straight days (or was it three?) I was sitting here working on my websites and all of a sudden the arm I had the fit bit on (wrist) started going nuts... I knew I was going to have a full grand mal and no one is home and that is always scary. I truly believe that this fitbit flex2 had caused this reaction... as soon as I calmed myself and took some meds I started searching the web and here I am. I will not wear it again. My husband was a bit jealous when my son sent it to me to get my mind off my problems, well, my husband will now have a fitbit flex 2 when he gets home from work. I am not just being paranoid either. My left arm was going nuts, along with my shoulder and part of my face - it was scary and my -- well... you all know what happens. So, I do believe it happens. I'm not out to take out a lawsuit or anything, I just realized it is not for me. Also a fitbit flex 2 does a lot more than just being a pedometer. It monitors sleep, restless sleep, water intake, steps, it buzzes when your phone is going to ring.. there is more but I don't care anymore!!! (I am not proof reading this so sorry for my typo's and spelling mistakes..) Be careful out there all you, and Hi I am Amy - new here because this is important to me.

Back
Top Bottom