Flu injection and Seizure meds.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

donnajane

New
Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you or you children who on seizure meds have had the flu injection this year. My sons nureologist said he thought it was a good idea for our 26month old to have the flu injection but due to him being on tegretol and clobazam he didn't think he should have the standard flu injection so was checking on what one he needed to have. He said we may need to go to the Children's Hopsital immunisaiton unit for it as his GP may not have it.
Does anyone know what the difference would be?
Thanks
Donna

Good question! I haven't heard of an alternate form of flu vaccine for kids on anti-seizure meds. I checked with the CDC website (the U.S. information site) and it doesn't mention anything about a special vaccine. It DOES say the kids with certain disorders (including epilepsy) are at a greater risk for catching the flu and should definitely be vaccinated. It also says that:
Some children 6 months through 8 years of age require 2 doses of influenza vaccine. Children in this age group who are getting vaccinated for the first time will need two doses. Some children who have received influenza vaccine previously will also need two doses. Your child’s health care provider can tell you whether two doses are recommended for your child.
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/children.htm

Thanks for the info. My 3yr old and 5yr old have had the first of their flu injections this year, we have been told they will need 2 as it is the first time they have had them.
GP said she thinks it will be the same for our youngest and i still haven't heard back from his neurologist so not quite sure what to do. Should I just go ahead with him having the first of the 2 injections or wait. He goes back to child care again next week so would ideally love him to have had at least the first injection before then. I will try and email his Neurologist tomorrow and see if I can get an answer.
His immune system seems a bit weaker than my older 2 kids as he has had hand, foot and mouth and also school sores in the last 6 months and neither of my older kids have had it or caught it from him.

Thanks again.
Donna

Back
Top Bottom