Foods/Substances

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

edepew151

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've had epilepsy since I was 13, and I'm now 19. You'd think I'd have it under control by now, but I don't. New triggers just keep popping up (I'm up to 9). The only food related one I have is caffine, but I want to know what other foods/substances set you guys off? I'm going to be as proactive as possible and go ahead and cut out as much of it as I can. Thanks!

There's some good info in this thread to get you started: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/proactive-prescription-epilepsy-1254/

Food-related triggers can vary a lot from person to person, so what's an issue for me may not be an issue for you. For me, aspartame/msg can be problematic, and having low blood sugar is a triggering as well. I'm not particularly bothered by alcohol or caffeine in moderation, but for others they are absolute no-nos.

In most cases, a basic well-balanced diet (grains/greens/healthy oils/etc), is a good start. Some folks have a gluten sensitivity or intolerance, and have found that a gluten-free diet helps with seizure control. Others have used the Modified Atkins Diet with success. Before starting a major dietary change, it's a good idea to check with your doctor.

I hear aspartame is a fairly common one. What kinds of food is aspartame in?

Aspartame is the same as Nutrasweet -- so it's found in a lot of diet sodas and other sugar-free products.

I am 62 and have had epilepsy since age 12. A couple of years ago I lost weight on a diet that had no simple carbohydrates such as those found in bread. I have had testing done and have 2 genetic markers that show a predisposition to gluten intolerance.
I have be almost seizure free for 2 years now. It took me 6 months to purge the gluten from my body and go through the learning process of how little gluten it takes to cause a problem in people that are gluten sensitive people.
I am now a part of the Gluten Intolerant Group and work with other individuals that are trying to eliminate gluten from.
I would like to hear from other that have uncontrolled seizures without a clear diagnosis.

Gregm

I'm pretty sure beer doesn't work for me and aspartame as well. I've been trying a low glycemic diet (somewhat) and was having success until recently. I was looking last night and my main weakness is bread, even organic whole wheat sprouted, etc. For some reason tortillas are supposed to be better. That said, I think stress plays a major role (for me, at least) in setting off seizures and I had the worst one ever a few weeks ago after moving for the 4th time in about six months in a house with a smoker.

My daughter has reactive hypoglycemia, which drops her blood sugar rapidly. I believe it is a combination of events, foods, vitamin and mineral requirements for energy levels etc. Thankfully her seizure threshold is higher these days and she hasn't had a seizure in 10+ months. She remains med free.

Great news Greg - My daughter also attempts to keep gluten out of her system, as she does with cow dairy as well. Sensitive systems are just pushed over the threshold.

Too many carbs and anything made with potato are triggers for my son.

Yes yes, indeed gluten, caffeine, nicotine, aspartame, sugar (in exess),

Back
Top Bottom