Friend's Baby Shower

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

zombelina

New
Reaction score
This is not epilepsy-related...more of just a silly social conundrum.

I am at the age where a lot of friends are having babies. My very close friend who lives far away recently had a baby and I've been trying to send her supplies and things that she needs.

I have another friend, who I am not all that close with but is in my group of friends and I see and talk to her from time to time. She is pregnant and having a baby shower in April. I RSVPd "no" to the shower because I have other commitments and it's just not really a priority for me. But I still feel like I am supposed to send a gift. This second friend has very expensive taste based on the gifts she is asking for.

This seems silly, but I know she has no true need for baby gifts, and I'd rather continue to help my close friend when possible than give something expensive to this other girl. But I don't want to cause any problems or seem rude because I do like her and enjoy spending time with her. I know it is customary to send a gift when someone invites you to their shower. Any ideas?

Thanks!

I think you're off the hook in terms of gift-giving for the OtherMomToBe since you're not attending the shower. (Even if you attended her baby shower you wouldn't be obligated to provide a gift, expensive or otherwise, but that's can be a lot more awkward to navigate). You're under no obligation to fund her baby care. A nice card wishing her well would be fine, or maybe you could send flowers to the shower event? That's can be a less-expensive way to show you care. (BTW as a rule, the shower honoree is supposed to make sure her wishlist/registry includes a wide range of items so that attendees can find an option within their spending range. )

I don't think you will come off as rude. If OtherMomToBe holds the lack of a gift against you then, then she's being kinda petty.

Thank you! I know it seems like a small thing, but it was something I needed objective advice about.

Back
Top Bottom