general question about meds & shot

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

kimba

New
Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone, with having to go to ER, recieved a shot of Epilepsy meds (Dilantin) and had a red swollen wrist and hand? I got a shot and my hand and wrist have been red and swollen since last Tuesday so I was just wondering. I certainly hope it's not some weird infection.
Thanks for any help!!

Kim

If it's been that long, I would call my neuro's office for advice.

When I went to ER for intravenous dilantin, they gave me 500 mgs in 45 minutes. They were going to give it in 30, but it was burning my arm badly, so they slowed it down to avoid chemical burns. How much did they give you? Was it a direct shot, or IV? Maybe it's burning like they suggested might happen in my case. It was a horrible feeling, my arm was on fire.

Jemsister, yes! That's exactly what it was. I'm not sure of the amount but it did burn so bad they had to slow it down. It was an IV and it was horrible. I am also itching like crazy since taking the Dilantin! Have you noticed that?

Kim

Someone else mentioned severe itching on Dilantin. I have had some minor itching, but not anything nagging or horrible, and no rash. I was told by another neurologist that 500 mgs is not a particularly high dose to give someone in an IV, so I wonder if they gave you a higher dose than 500 mgs and that's why your side effects are so strong.

I think you should definitely call, especially with the severe itching. You never know, but it could be an allergic reaction. I hope you find some relief soon!

Back
Top Bottom