Genetic Factors

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

CarrieH

New
Reaction score
My mom was adopted at an early age. She was one of 13 kids born in the mountains of Kentucky. We eventually met up with her siblings when I was 18 back in 1996. I lived in Texas and we made the trip to KY to meet everyone. Over the years I've heard about certain people having a history of seizures. One even passed away from an accident involving a train as a child due to having a seizure on railroad tracks.

My mom has a history of what I considered seizures as she has a nervous tendency and won't eat she barely weighs 100lbs. When taken to the hospital her Potassium levels were always low so that is thought to be her issue. My sister has addictive tendencies and worked in a pharmacy, so its not know what is her true problem.

I made a private Facebook group and about 17 cousins, some first, second and even third talk about having seizures. Some have found certain foods as a trigger, others like myself have no warning but insomnia and stress make them happen more frequently.

Does anyone else have that many family members with seizure histories? My Neuro claimed mine was genetic based on what I told him and EEG results.

Like you, I asked family members because I didn't and couldn't fathom how I could be epileptic and found out that my father's brother and father ( so my uncle and grandfather) do and did suffer from seizures.

It is nice to be able to find a connection isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom