Giving baby topomax and phenobarb

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jdcharles

New
Reaction score
My 7 month old daughter started having seizures a couple of weeks ago. After almost a week of evaluations and drugs, she stopped. Now we're giving her topomax and phenobarbital twice a day. They hope to try to wean her off the phenobarb starting next month as they believe it is really the topomax doing the trick. As some possible support for this hypothesis, she had a seizure today after about a week without, and I think it's due to the fact that we have a REALLY hard time giving her the topomax. Both drugs are a chore, but the topomax comes as a pill that we have to grind up and put in a solution, or formula, or food or whatever. She can taste it a mile away and always tries to spit it out. I'm not sure she's getting enough of her dose to do any good. Any advice?

Hi jd, welcome to the forum. :hello:

There is supposed to be a Topamax (Topiramate) Sprinkles capsule that you can open easily and spread/hide in food, but every report I've seen in forums indicates that kids aren't fooled by it.

Try putting it in ice cream.

haha, my little girl also was affected by seizures and indeed that was quite difficult to get her to take her medications At first we would be on neurontin but then our doctor suggested us to shift to topamax and the secret is to dip the drug into honey while having crushed it and miked it well with it. Try to give it with a following little chocolate and you find your baby taking it all ..

:!: Feeding honey to infants under 12 months is dangerous.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/infant-botulism/HQ00854

Infants younger than 12 months are at risk of infant botulism from eating honey. Infant botulism is a rare but serious form of food poisoning.

Honey is a known source of bacterial spores that produce Clostridium botulinum bacteria. These bacteria are typically harmless to older children and adults. But when ingested by an infant, these bacteria make a toxin that can cause infant botulism. It's unclear why this occurs in infants and not in older children or adults.

Infant botulism affects a baby's nervous system and can result in death. Signs and symptoms of infant botulism include:

Persistent constipation
Floppy arms, legs and neck
Weak cry due to muscle weakness
Weak sucking and poor feeding
Tired all the time (lethargy)
Botulism spores may also be found in undercooked food, corn syrup and even maple syrup. For this reason, feeding an infant any of these foods is risky as well.

There you go BB, stealing honey from a baby! :pfft:

Thanks for the warning. :)

Easier than stealing it from the bees! :lol:

Sugar tits are quite effective. If she can get sprinkles and mix it with sugar then dip a pacifier/nipple in it the baby may take it. Also give the med when the baby is hungry and mor apt to take it.

Appelsauce works well too.

Back
Top Bottom