[Info] Glasses to protect against seizure//migraine triggers

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have been trying on different types of glasses while watching TV or sitting in front of the computer monitor. I am photosensitive and get migraine/seizures very easily.

I have a pair of polarized popover sunglasses that I can wear over my regular glasses that I tried in front of a plasma tv last night that is known for triggering a migraine/seizure and so far nothing has happened. So, will continue to wear these.

I lost my second pair of cocoon's last week so while looking online thru Walmart, I came across a popover that is for protection for nighttime driving to protect against the glare of oncoming traffic and wondering if these might help just for sitting in front of the TV or computer monitor in lieu of polarized sun glasses. It says it it eliminates 99% reflected light and scattered light but is not polarized. The lenses are yellow: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Unisex-H...s-Driving-Glasses-Yellow/493854381#about-item

The lenses I just lost, I went to an optometrist who put specialized lenses in these popovers to reduce the glare specifically that triggers migraine/seizures.

Has anyone tried different colored lenses to help reflect light if one is photosensitive ?

Debbie

Hi!
I have tried many kinds of lenses. I too have photosensitive epilepsy and seizures comes always because on them.

I have aviation green coloured lenses (85% if I remember correctly) for days when it is fe. snowing or not so sunny. Polarized.

Gray lenses I use quite rarely. They have the same effect as av-green; they make colours more clear.

Best lenses for me are brown and grey. They are 85% (how dark the colouring is); they are best in very sunny days and in stores etc. and in every-day use.

When I'm at computer I use non-polarized lenses because they dont let the light come straight to eyes so then it is useful that they reflect and scatter the light n waves from screen.

I also have to take down blue colouring from settings of the screen and make screen a bit darker and adjust the contrast to lower levels.

Last edited:
Thank you Sanitus, just made the changes :)

On my monitor, my screen is now in grey and I set the resolution to the lowest setting. I can't up the flicker rate, as the highest it will go is 60 hertz. I understand the higher (75 is recommended) the less effect on seizures and migraine. Next monitor I will check for a higher hertz rate. Currently I have polarized brown popover lenses. My neighbor is going to lend me her yellow popover lenses. Thanks for the heads up about not using the polarized lenses when at the computer monitor. I'll try the yellow lenses for the monitor and see how that works.

What is the difference between the blue and green lenses?

Back
Top Bottom