[GARD/GFCF] Gluten Free Bread

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
Thanks to Martha Stewart. She is highlighting some new GF recipes on her Body&Soul / WholeLiving website.

Gluten Free Bread

Makes one 8-inch loaf.

2 tablespoons organic canola oil, plus more for pan and plastic wrap
1/2 cup millet
1 1/2 cups warm (115 degree) water
1 cup brown rice flour
1 cup soy flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup teff flour
2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
2 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
3 large eggs, room temperature
2 tablespoons unsulfured molasses
2 teaspoons coarse salt

DIRECTIONS

Brush an 8 1/2-by 4 1/2-inch loaf pan with oil. Combine millet and 1/2 cup warm water in a small pan. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and let stand 30 minutes. Reserve.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Meanwhile, whisk together flours, yeast, and xanthan gum. Whisk together eggs, molasses, salt, and oil. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients. Then beat with a paddle attachment until combined. Beat in 1 cup warm water and the millet. Continue beating on medium-high speed for 5 minutes. The dough will be like thick elastic cake batter, not like traditional bread dough.
Transfer to prepared pan and spread evenly. Lightly drape with oiled plastic wrap and place in a warm spot until risen about 1 1/2 inches above edge of pan, about 1 hour and 30 minutes (once dough begins to dome, remove plastic for remainder of rising time).
Reduce oven to 350 degrees. Place bread in oven, and bake until dark brown and hollow sounding when tapped, about 1 hour. Cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove and cool completely. If necessary, run knife around the edge of the pan to loosen before removing.

This is beautiful a free gluten bread I think some people who are looking some recipe like these they will like it. For me I will try to bake it maybe if I'm not busy anymore for my work.

I am going to try it also. I hope to find time this week.

One will need to supplement the Soy Flour if you are strict to the GARD

I'm not on a GF diet, but I'm tempted to try it too, so i can make it for my gluten-intolerant brother when he visits. Is xanthan gum easy to find? (pardon my ignorance; I'm not much of a baker in general).

Yes I have found it easily, but then again I have access to Whole Foods Market. I can't say I have used it often. But if this bread makes a nice sandwich bread I might need to keep it around.

Hi, new to the gluten free diet but i love it already. I love making homemade bread. I am partial to flat bread so leavining is not necessary in the recipe.

Does anyone have any suggestions for working with Quinoa whole grains/Quinoa flour/ or rice flour. Am curious to know the ratio of flour to water for the flat bread.

Also are all yeast gluten free?

Thanks
Rose :)

Just posted this in the other thread, here it is again:

Gluten free flatbread:

- 1 cup quinoa flour

- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of salt

- 1 Tablespoon psyllium husk (you can use xantham gum or an egg as a binder if you prefer)

- 3/4 cup water

Preheat oven to 400 F.

Mix the salt, psyllium husk and flour together, add the water gradually until it's like thick porridge, wait for a couple of minutes and then spread it on a baking tray lined with baking paper.

Bake for approximately 20 minutes, the time depends on on how thick you have spread the batter. The thinner it gets, the faster it bakes. If you spread the batter very thinly it can bakes in as little as 10 minutes.

Does anyone know if brown is actually is gluten free. I have read in several places that it is yet some say it is not

Thanks

Do you know if brown rice actually is gluten free? I have read it is yet some sites say to stay away from it, so i am not sure whether to include it in my gluten free diet.

Thanks

I use it as a gluten free product.
I do think we have to be wary of how much we consume. Sometimes I notice with the gluten free direction is that we use those products as fillers, and this can be a problem blood sugar balance and especially if there is a fungal imbalance in the GI system. Yeast tends to feed on the products.

I love the flavor of brown rice.

Robin thanks for your reply. I also love the flavor of brown rice. I dont have any other health problems other than seizures which for the most part are under control but i find that if my blood sugar goes to low it can cause myoclonic jerks which can lead to grandmal seizure so i do need to eat the foods that last.

You mentioned the blood sugar balance are you saying the carbs in brown rice may raise the sugar too much?

Also do you know if it is safe to use the packaged dry yeast for breads?

Thanks

Brown rice is much better than white rice. It takes it longer to digest.

I have just been reading about how keeping the diet low in grains in general is a much healthier route to take. I try to keep that in mind, as we tend to be a family addicted to grains and refined flour products.

The yeast I was speaking of is candida. It is a fungal overgrowth in the intestinal tract.

Polysystemic Chronic Candidiasis is the condition of a yeast (Candida albicans) over-growth. Candida is a strain of yeast present in most every human body, in fact it prefers the human host over any other. Candida is also known as moniliasis or thrush. Just because Candida is present in most everybody does not mean it is a problem. Because it is not, unless the organisms start to grow beyond their normal amounts. The immune system keeps this overgrowth under control. But if for any reason the immune system becomes depressed, or through the use of antibiotics, birth control pills, steroids (such as prednisone) it then cannot control the growth of the yeast; so now we get an overgrowth, which can and does cause a variety of problems.

Candidiasis will affect individuals differently. One may have gastro-intestinal disorders while another may have respiratory, problems and still another may have dermatological manifestations (skin rash).

Many doctors I have found roll their eyes when this is brought up, but I have personal experience that it does exist, and I can make it flare up in my system. I also see it is a problem for Rebecca, so I work at keeping it in check. Some people are sensitive to yeast in baked goods, but I think you would need to be tested to know if this was a problem for you.

Thanks so much! That is very interesting. It is sad that alot of doctors roll their eyes at a lot these days. I guess they feel there has to be some complex explanation for every condition when in reality for some the answers are right in front of us.

Have a wonderful day!

Yay! Always looking for a good bread recipe. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom