Goin To The Nuroligist Tomorre!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JLogefeil

New
Reaction score
Tomorrw at 1:00pm I wall be seeing my Nuroligist Tomorrow.
I m so nervous I have never been to one were I actually talk, the other times I have been unconchious( sorry spelled that wrong).
Is there anything I should keep in mind? What will be the main reason Im going there to him ? Just to start care or just to see if he wants me to accept me as a patient? the reason I m asking Is because someone told me not to get my hopes high to be getting some sort of diagnosis at the first time I go. Is this guy going to be my doctor for sure now since I'm going to be seeing him, or is this just a one time thing? For example if I end up back into the hospital and they ask if I have a Nuroligist and I say him, is that who I say or do I just say no one? Sorry I haut have so many questions that are going on in my head about tomorrow like what to expect.
Sorry, I ll let you all go and stop waste in your time.
Thank you for time, I will post and tell everyone how it go's. Please wish and pray it go's well.
Jlogefeil

Ideally, he'll go over your records and such, and then if he needs more information he'll recommend you taking tests, be it EEG's MRI scans or what-not. :)
He'll also have questions about your experiences, and try to gather as much information as possible so he can get a full picture of the situation.
I wouldn't hope for a diagnosis the first appointment, those are wise words. Neurology is a touchy thing, so rushing to conclusions is almost always a bad idea. It'll take time, and effort on both your parts, along with tests and some experimentation to get a diagnosis and long term plan set up for you. :)

He'll be your Neurologist, so if they ask if you have one the answer will be "Yes". He's not your primary care physician though, so things like infections and such you'll have to take to you PCP. :)

Best of luck to you! Hopefully everything goes great! :D

Google "what to ask your neurologist" or "how to prepare for you neurology visit" ... I saw some lists on there yesterday. It was helpful. Good luck hun.

JLogefeil,

The Neurologist will want to learn as much information about your seizures as they can
- how long you have been having the seizures, the type of seizures you have, what happens when you have a seizure & if there is any history of epilepsy in your family. Like Silat has already said the Neurologist may order other tests eg - EEG, MRI before giving you a diagnosis.

If you have been using a seizure diary take that with you. I remember you said once before that your husband has done reports on what he has witnessed when you have seizures, be sure to take that information as well.
It is good if you are able to have your husband or someone else in the appt with you as having a 2nd person there may be able to give the neurologist some information that you can't give yourself.

I always found it was good to take a small notepad & pen with me in my Neurologist appts to write down any important information the Neurologist told me eg - medication change.

If you find that you are happy with this Neurologist then I would say they will be your Neurologist.

Good luck with your Neuro appt Tomorrow, be sure to let us know how it gos.

Last edited:
Remember -- write down your questions beforehand, and don't be afraid to ask any others that come up in the course of the appointment. Write down the answers too. There are no stupid questions. Don't be afraid to ask absolutely anything -- including how to get in touch with the neurologist if you have additional questions after the appointment! And don't leave until you feel confident you understand everything.

If the neurologist mentions tests, ask about what they might show, how accurate they are, what's involved in them. If he mentions medications ask about how they work and any side effects and dosages. Ask about how often you would be seeing him and when additional appointments might be necessary.

Back
Top Bottom