Group Messages Part 4

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Zoe

Alternative Research Encyclopedia
Reaction score
LivingFruity
I also avoid buying anything that claims to be "natural". Honestly, all of my shopping is done at a farmers market, a produce stand, or the produce section of the supermarket. I will occasionally buy frozen fruits or veggies, but only those without any preservatives or sweeteners. The only ingredient on the ingredient list must be the fruit or veggie I'm buying. When purchasing nuts, I prefer to buy them in the shell and then shell them myself.
----------------
Yesterday 03:19 PM - permalinkShelley
I try not to eat any cheese; Mostly for asthma, but it helps in the seizure area too.
I don't eat too many breads, and not too much pasta either. My mom said bread was just needless filler, because other mothers didn't like to cook for their families. (ok, mom)
I am truing to steer away from junk food, but the food in the cafeteria is laden with cheeses and sauces which tend to be very peppery. I am not a pepper fanatic.
I am still a picky eater.
------------------------
Molly97
Zoe,
I got an email back from Dogtor J today. He has fixed the links in his material with regard to the danish food composition databank link I have already posted here earlier.

I had told him that we are taking a hard look at the nutritional aspects relating to epilepsy. He says he commends everyone here for making that effort to understand and to implement dietary changes.

There was some more direction offered and I will post that over in the Library.
------------
Molly97
Zoe,
I just read your link about the interview with Doctor Blaylock.
I was very interested in the fact that there are glutamate receptors all over the body. And so I bring up this question: Back before I went on the GARD and cut as much glutamate out of my diet as I can, I would have gut auras almost constantly during the day. Is it possible that these auras were the result of what I was eating, assaulting my gut with glutamate? I know I read about the gut/brain connection, and in particular, the ability of the vagus nerve running between the two to stimulate seizure activity. Could that be more of a connection between overstimulating the glutamate receptors in the gut, and those auras I'd get actually being mini gut seizures? I'm thinking so.

Another thing I got out of this interview with Dr Blaylock was that magnesium can desensitize those glutamate receptors. For me with my known high sensitivity to glutamate sources, this gives me hope. Robin has posted before about the effects of magnesium on migraine headaches and I said to myself "Self, you don't suffer from migraines so you don't need to concern yourself with taking magnesium." Well, I am going to check this out with my doc on Feb 2 when I see him.
---------------
Yesterday 07:56 PM - permalinkZoe
Molly,
From my own experience having seizures, I agree with you about the food triggering seizures. Its like having a mild allerigic reaction; the food is irritating if you can't digest it. Over time your body gets so sensitive to it, that just a tiny bit, or a smell, is enough to trigger a seizure, just from your gut being irritated. That was my experience too. I could figure on having a seizure after lunch seven days a week. I think now it was a reaction to the bread and milk, as cutting those two out were part of the process of stopping the seizures over time.
There is a lot of research out there on magnesium and seizures. Too little can trigger seizures, but too much can cause some serious problems also. Next time you talk to your Self, as her if stress has any effect on magnesium or vice versa [try a google search on this].
Good you heard back from DogtorJ, wish he could stop in and answer some of the lingering questions on glutamate as it is found in foods [not just MSG]. Maybe another time.
----------------------
Zoe
Sarah,
I hope you'll keep posting on the diet, how it is working, and what you learn. Any information you find on B12 I hope you'll post. In your last note about it, you didn't say which specific enzymes are needed to metabolize it in humans. In my reading I did see that in areas where the soil is cobalt depleted the sheep grazing there (assuming cattle too) do not get the material to make B12. Thus, those eating the meat wouldn't be getting it either.
-------------------
Yesterday 08:19 PM - permalinkZoe
Hi Shelly,
Asthma too! No wonder you stay away from cheese or anything that would affect your breathing. Did you ever see the Mayo Clinic study on fungus and asthma? Here's a link about it.
http://www.theasthmacenter.org/page32507.html
I think this may be the culprit for my longstanding illness that no one is able to identify. I'm seeing my new doc this week and asking her to check this out along with aspergillus. All that stuff, clogs up the airways interfering with normal breathing which can lower the seizure threshold.
----------------------
Zoe
P.S. This group is getting bigger and busier faster than expected. Do you think we should put this in a forum so we can better track the threads of the discussion? Opinions please.
----------------------

Molly97
Zoe,
Putting this in its own special forum would have my vote. There's so much discussion and I'm afraid that I'll miss something, especially on the days when I don't check in(usually my hubby's days off).
-----------------
Molly97
Zoe,
I know you were going to email Dogtor J; did you? I emailed him at dogtorj@dogtorj.com. I put in the subject line that I was calling his attention to problems in his links. He was back to me within 24 hours.
I also took the liberty of telling him that we were looking into the glutamate connection to epilepsy as well as other nutritional issues with seizures and he was pleased to hear that. If I were you, I'd try emailing him again at the above address and invite him in. This would work especially well if we had a forum page where discussion was actively going on.
Just my 2 cents.
-----------------

Molly97
Zoe,
I noticed ZOE'S CORNER as a subforum. Are we moving over there?
Are you going to be able to move what has been posted here in this group over to the subforum? That would be nice; we wouldn't lose all the links and such. Maybe put them over there as a "catch-up" thread? I don't know. Just thinking.
----------------
Zoe
Hi Molly,
Good ideas! I'd like to keep all these messages too. I could just give them names under some thread title so it would be easier to find them.
I hadn't emailed Dogtor J as I thought he was really busy. When we set up the forum I will drop him a note and ask him to check out the forum and clarify any questions we still have about glutamate.

hi

Zoe.
Yes it does seem strange when I blow my nose, yet don't really see anything. Yet for some odd reason, when I used a prescribed nose spray, and 'Simply Saline'– to avoid a preservative– My sinuses get worse.
:ponder:

Have you tried using nasal rinse you make up yourself with lukewarm water, salt and a little baking soda. There are recipes online. It is part of the ritual cleansig in Yoga practice. I put a little vitamin C powder in mine thinking there may be fungal growth going on and it helped a lot! I'm going to ask my doc about it this week.
Any thoughts on why the saline alone would have made your sinuses worse? The other products would aggravate me too. What have you found that does work?

Oddly enough

Just leaving it alone, and blowing my nose a lot. I wish I could irrigate my nose, as I am tired of being so stuffy all the time.

Just leaving it alone, and blowing my nose a lot. I wish I could irrigate my nose, as I am tired of being so stuffy all the time.
Shelly,
I do not have any active asthma problem at this time, thankfully.
There's got to be a way for you to safely open up those passages. It can be miserable when you are stuffed up; gives me brain fog and too little oxygen to my brain. Have you used either tea tre oil or lavender oil in a potpourii? I find them both very helpful. Tea tree oil was used by the Australian Army as an antiseptic during WWII,
Oils can be very dangerous if used internally, though. I put either of the oils at times on a cotton swab & rub the oil on my pillow It is supposed to kill air borne molds when used in the potpourri. There is a lot of research on it too.
Here's some info from WebMD:

Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)-Topic Overview1 Although there is little research on tea tree oil, some studies suggest that it is safe and often effective for the prevention and treatment of infections ...
http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/tc/tea-tree-oil-melaleuca-alternifolia-topic-overview

Thanks

I'll try that when I get home. I work in an environment where the idiots think I'm faking an asthma reaction when they wear any perfume.
It does more than trigger asthma, and they know it.

I'll try that when I get home. I work in an environment where the idiots think I'm faking an asthma reaction when they wear any perfume.
It does more than trigger asthma, and they know it.

Yea, it can trigger seizures too! Are they too closed minded to read information about the connection between the perfume, asthma, and seizures?
Too bad you have to work in that kind of environment.

The essential oils are really strong, so don't use too much of them until you know how you react. Ask your pharmacist if either of those oils might interact with any meds you take as well.

sealed shut

They don't care. They have taken their faith down to a new level of superstition. Sad really. These are the one who claimed JT died from demonic possession and not seizures.

They don't care. They have taken their faith down to a new level of superstition. Sad really. These are the one who claimed JT died from demonic possession and not seizures.
Are you talking about the pharmacists?

Just

my 'co-workers'. Theres one who is a preachers kid. She thinks she is the 'church lady'.

my 'co-workers'. Theres one who is a preachers kid. She thinks she is the 'church lady'.

Maybe you'd like to join my church! It's called The Church of the Single Doctrine.
The doctrine is:
THERE SHALT BE NO DOCTRINES
:mrt::woot:

Back
Top Bottom