guestion about tattoos

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

tabbycat

New
Reaction score
hi all! has anyone heard of a reason to not to get a tattoo if you've got epilepsy? i've read on the internet that some tattooists won't tattoo a person with epilepsy. my guess is that it has to do with the risk of having a seizure (that affects the body or consciousness - don't know the medical terms) while having it done. could there be any other reasons? i've googled and haven't found any medical risks.

the reason for asking is that i've booked an appointment but let's say i "forgot" to tick the epilepsy-box out of fear that they'd say no! i felt really bad afterwards because i cannot lie so i went back the next day and asked about it. the person i talked to said she didn't think there would be a problem, unless the epilepsy or medication affected the blood. she wasn't quite sure so she told me to call back again and ask another person working there. i said i'd ask the neurologist but she said doctors always think tattoos are a bad idea...!

i have simple partial seizures (since 1996). i've never had any other kind of seizure and no affect on my consciousness. ...so i think i can go ahead! any thoughts about this?

I've wondered about this myself. I had a tattoo done with my daughter's name (Jade),her date of birth and the chinese symbol for Jade done 7 years ago, and was diagnosed with Epilepsy nearly 6 years ago. For the last 5 years I have wanted to get a tatt done for my 2 boys, I've designed it myself, but have been too nervous about it as I didn't know if it would affect me or not. I would be very interested to know if there's an answer to this.

Not too worry, it has nothing to do with your meds or blood. It does have to do with the risk of a seizure -- getting a tattoo is considered a stressful event for some people, so if that kind of stress is a trigger for you, proceed with caution. If you're in a good place though, seizures are controlled, feeling healthy, etc. then there's no reason why you can't get a tattoo. If you are "on the edge" -- i.e., not sure how you're feeling, have a friend come with you.

A tiny secondary concern would be the risk of an infection (Probably why doctors are anti-tattoo). For some people a fever/infection lowers the seizure threshold. But the infection risk at a good tattoo parlor is pretty low -- after all it would be bad for business if people kept getting sick.

Good luck! I hope you end up getting a terrific tattoo!

I have 3 tats...all of them done by professional tat artists who knew I had seizures. You should be fine. :)

Also had body piercing done too. :)

My 20 yo just got a tat on his side. Im not saying Im happy about it. but its there. He has grand mals and he has been seizure free 1 year. He had it done in a few sittings. 2 -3 hr sessions. He did not have a problem and did well. Id have to think its more an individual response.

Good luck and REALLY "think before you INK"!! lol

enjoy
joan*

I have 2 tattoos. The one on my foot i got on august 12/09, i was having uncontrolled seizures then (not on meds or anything...still am not) and I had no problem. The one on my wrist was fine. no pain. The foot one however was probably the top 3 worst pain i have felt in my life. Very stressfull and very painful. I had one short absence seizure during it, about 7 seconds.

The tattooist did not notice but my hubby did as it was the only point in the 20mins where i was not wincing in pain.

So if they arent controlled i would just inform the tattooist that it would be best if you could do it lying down rather than sit. Also depending where you are getting the tattoo it could be a very painful spot for you. My hubby has a tattoo on his forearm that he said made him light headed, and he almost passed out from getting his nipple pierced.

so if you have a low pain tolerance just remember that it is possible for anyone to pass out with this, not just someone who has E or anything else. If you have seizures after fainting, you may want to consider other options of control before you get this done.

hi! i already have a tattoo; done 20 years ago and i haven't regret it yet so i hope i'll be happy with the new ones - but i do see what you mean!

hmm i'll keep that in mind! the one i had is on the front/inside of my upper arm and that was not exactly comfortable! i felt really dizzy that time so i had to lay down on the floor for a while! my seizures are very well controlled so i think i'll be alright! (especially now that i've read so many tattoo-stories here!)

matchu-albums-145-artwork-palm-tree-trimmings-picture1496-p-00042.jpg

this goes from my ankle up to around the top of my shin bone. I have three others and will have plenty more done in the future. How about the fact I was going to be a tattoo artist but don't think I should even consider it anymore!

Im so glade i found this site im looking to get my first tattoo but didnt know if it was safe or not now i know i should be good im still a little freaked out though not of gettin the tattoo im good with pain but afraid i might have a seizurer i dont tell people about them theres few people i tell most people know because they saw them its my secret i guess

Hi

Call me a masochist but, I have a tattoo in each armpit, one on my butt cheek and I've just had one done on my forearm of a celtic cross and my daughters name above it.

None of these have affected my epilepsy, I may have a pitifully low seizure threshold but my pain threshold is extremely high, so tattoo's aren't stressful for me, I actually like having them done :rock: I am a freak and proud of it.

I think it is more the possibility you may have seizures due to stress, and should that happen it may ruin the tattoo design especially if ur heading for a tonic clonic and sudden moment will obviously gimp up the design and the needles go deeper than they are supposed to with the ink.

It varies between tattoo artists but in the long run it's better to disclose than not, would you want those needles going into the meat of ur body rather than the first layers of skin? If one won't do it, there is plenty of others, just do some homework and check out previous work, look at websites, ask to see their autoclave and certificates from the health department etc

I guess I've been lucky in that the tattoo artist and I know each other outside the shop so he knows what I'm like and actually prefers to work on me cos I don't move at all when he's working as I don't feel it more than an annoying vibration.

I have 2 tattoo's one on my lefts sholder and the other on my left ankle and I am planning on getting one on my left foot. I didn't have any seizures at all. but I was worried that I would have one

Be cautious

I got my first tattoo yesterday, and before the artist could get more than a half inch straight line on my forearm I went into a full on grand maul. Took the whole parlor staff to hold me down. Now granted I am very sporadic with taking my meds and had missed about three days prior to this, and the night before I had severe anxiety about the tattoo so I stayed up the whole night. So mine may have been an isolated incident but just excursive caution if you have a low pain threshold or a penchant for anxiety in stressful situations. Hope this helped!

Wow, tattoo staff are supposed to have their first aid and should know not to hold anyone down, let alone trying to hold someone down to try to continue to tattoo them.

Holy crap!

Unfortunately not all tattooists know how to handle all situations. They could have thought he was on drugs or something and feared for their own safety. :(

They got educated on it now I hope.

Glad you're ok. Think you'll get that line fixed?

Wow! My daughter is only 14 and really want to get a tattoo. She knows she has to wait until she is 18. She wants to get a running shoe with wings (since she is a runner). I mentioned that she should intertwine the shoelaces to make the purple epilepsy ribbon. She loved the idea. I do support her in getting a tattoo. Just not until she is 18!

My tattoos are all pre epilepsy, and I do want more, but I'm nervous about going anywhere I know is really going to hurt. This really sucks for me because I've been half way through a cover job on my lower back ( not a tramp stamp! It goes from the small of my back to my ribs. It's nowhere near my butt crack!) for a couple of years. The original tatt hurt so much (heavy artist) I had to get it done in 2 1 hour sessions. The first stage of the cover took 4 hours and had me shaking and sobbing in my husbands arms towards the end of it. It looks finished to most people, but it so isn't. I'm really scared of hitting that area again because the first tattooist scarred me as much as he tattooed me.

maybe its to do with pain? it can cause aa sezure and they prob arnt insured or something.

Back
Top Bottom