Had 5 Seizures In A Row:(

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JLogefeil

New
Reaction score
So I have been seizure free for three weeks today if I didnt have 5 seizures in a row last night.
I ve been under a lot of stress and during the times that the stress was going on I had none but when the stress is going down I had 5 in a row.
I'm on Keppra 1000mg a day why didn't the Keppra stop this from happening? I dont know what to do or think anymore. I'm just lost and don't know what to do if I have any more seizures like that my husband didn't take me to the ER becuase he felt that couldn't help me. What are something's that my husband can do for me If this happends again?

So sorry you were seizing last night. Event though you felt things were going well, the stress could still be a trigger. Sometimes the effect is cumulative and just builds up until you "let down your guard"/ Ot there could be other triggers playing a role. Unfortunately, it can take awhile to find the right medication or the right dosage. You may need to be at a higher Keppra dose, or you may need to be on a different medication altogether. Something to talk to the neurologist about.

I assume you were having tonic-clonic seizures? If so, below is information for your husband about what to do:

WHAT HAPPENS IN A TONIC-CLONIC SEIZURE:
The person goes stiff, loses consciousness and then falls to the ground. This is followed by jerking movements. A blue tinge around the mouth is likely (and normal -- this is due to irregular breathing.) Loss of bladder and/or bowel control may happen. After a minute or two the jerking movements should stop and consciousness may slowly return.

DO:
-- Protect the person from injury - (remove harmful objects from nearby)
-- Cushion their head
-- Aid breathing by gently placing them on their side once the seizure has finished
-- Stay with the person until recovery is complete
-- Let the person know what has happened, and reassure them

DON'T:
-- Restrain the person’s movements
-- Put anything in the person’s mouth
-- Try to move them unless they are in danger
-- Give them anything to eat or drink until they are fully recovered
-- Attempt to bring them round

CALL AN AMBULANCE IF:
-- You know it is the person’s first seizure
-- The seizure continues for more than five minutes
-- One tonic-clonic seizure follows another without the person regaining consciousness between seizures
-- The person is injured during the seizure
-- You believe the person needs urgent medical attention

Thank you this is what I ll print out for my husband. Thank you do much!

I've had similar things like this happen to me, however I usually have parcial seizures and not grand mals.

The longest that I've been seizure free is around 3 weeks. Something stressful will come along then a few days life has calmed down - BAM here's the seizures! I usually have one a day for the next few days but I have had a 3 in one day.

Nikamova pretty much put it all out there for what to do when you are having a siezure.

It seems to happen quite a lot that when stress calms down the body then decides to 'let go'. I guess it's kind of like why you (general you) always seem to get sick at weekends, or taking a holiday from work, rather than when you're powering through busy/stressful times.

I don't know how long you've been on Keppra, but a side effect of keppra is 'more frequent or worsening seizures', so that's something to keep in mind. It could also be that you're not at a therapeutic dose yet, or perhaps it's not the right medication for you.

It might even just be one of those things that you couldn't predict or prevent. If I was you I'd let my neurologist know at the next appointment that you had these close together and see what they say about it.

Back
Top Bottom