Had a seizure at work

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

fleeka

New
Reaction score
Hello, I guess I that I am being very selective or maybe ambiguous about what questions to read and or post. Please move this somewhere else if I am way off with category its Denial, I think. I had for the first time in my life (I am 47) what I would describe as an ecstatic seizure a couple of weeks ago. I was taken to the ER and they found Grade 3 Anaplastic Astrocytoma. I am now taking 3k mg of Kappra a day and haven't had any seizures since that day. I have had that Aura feeling a few times but it has not manifested into what I can only describe as the most beautiful feeling, until I am sweating sick and wanting to get off the ride.

I am wondering if anyone has had or is battling astrocytoma with a history of 1 seizure to their present situation:
What the effects/affects to occupation and driving are. Unless I misunderstood my Dr. during prognosis meeting after the biopsy, I am never going to operate a machine or drive again which hurts pretty good because I am a setup machinist and worked hard to get a position using my hands and mind every day. At the risk of being optimistic does a track record of 0 seizures over a certain amount of time possibly open up the opportunity for more occupational trade work or is it the fact that the tumor will always be present to some extent after treatment. Thanks for your time

What the effects/affects to occupation and driving are. Unless I misunderstood my Dr. during prognosis meeting after the biopsy, I am never going to operate a machine or drive again which hurts pretty good because I am a setup machinist and worked hard to get a position using my hands and mind every day. At the risk of being optimistic does a track record of 0 seizures over a certain amount of time possibly open up the opportunity for more occupational trade work or is it the fact that the tumor will always be present to some extent after treatment. Thanks for your time

Hi fleeka, welcome to CWE! And hugs to you -- you're dealing with a lot all at once. I don't know if any current members have had an astrocytoma, but plenty have had to cope with radical changes in their lives after developing seizure disorders. We can all relate in some way.

As far as driving goes, it depends where you're located and what the laws are. It can vary from state to state (if you're in the U.S.) and from country to country. In my state you have to be 6 months seizure-free to get your license back. In some places you need your neurologist to sign off. In my case I had convulsive seizures, but eventually got them under control with medication. I’ve been driving for over 15 years.

Technically the auras you are experiencing are also seizures, so you might need to have those under control first, even though you don't lose consciousness during them. If you're not sure, definitely check again with your doctor and your local government, since, as you note, driving is very important for your job and independence.

Your doctor should be available to answer your questions -- about surgery, driving, medication, side effects, prognosis, anything that hasn't been properly communicated. Don't be afraid to be a "squeaky wheel" and let them know that you need more information.

Best,
Nakamova

Hi fleeka,

Welcome to the forum! I've never had to deal with a tumor but I have family members who have had to deal with them and
the best thing right now is to look into gamma knife surgery. There's no knife involved it's just high frequency radio waves
that will destroy the tumor and shrink it, sometimes a person only has to go in once and it's over the same day but depending
on the tumor a person may have to go back for another treatment.

As Nakamova mentioned it all depends on where you live in the U.S. as to when you can drive. I know in NY you have to go
a year without a seizure and have a Drs. written statement saying it's okay to drive. I've had epilepsy for 49 yrs. so I've never
been able to drive, I'm ver grateful for the gadabout service which helps people with physical disabilities or elders and then I've
always been able to depend on my husband also.

For many yrs. I've had aura seizures and back in the 1970's my neuro I had at the time told me to tighten up all the muscles
in my body and make my hands into tight fists for a few seconds the moment I felt an aura seizure start and if I did it quick
enough it would stop the seizure and take my word it has worked for me many times.

I've had absence and complex partial seizures most of my life all coming from the right temporal lobe. I finally had surgery
done to reduce the seizures and it was a great help. I went from an average of 300 seizures a yr. to at the most 114 seizures
one yr. but I usually average around 80-90 seizures a yr. I found using cbd oil ( medical marijuana) one of the best things
to help reduce my seizures. My Dr. told me to start using it after they found out I was drug resistant to all seizure meds out
on the market as of right now.

I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You,

Sue

Thanks very much for the reply. I believe my tumor is in the right parietal and temporal lobe. Too big or placed in a way that makes removal not an option as I understand things. Im pretty sure I was aware on some level for the duration of seizure. Enough to ask for help. Thanks again

To be honest im very angry about the tumor and that it wasnt caught on a few different occasions. Gonna need to move forward

Hello. I have simple & complex partial seizures. The simple partials had been occurring since I was little, but weren't diagnosed until after some tonic clonics occurred. I chose not to drive due to the simple partials. I probably could have driven because there wasn't anyone who would tell the department in charge of licenses. My complex partials began about 23 years ago, & have prevented me from working.

Back
Top Bottom