Has anyone tried Magnesium from Wal Mart?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Annie4637

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been doing a lot of reading lately thru the forums and on the internet and I saw time and time again of how magnesium has helped out so many people. I also see that there are different brands that people try. I bought some today from Wal Mart due to the convenience and I was wondering if anyone else had tried it and if they had good results from it.

Thanks!

Lisa

Lisa - what kind of Magnesium is it?
Also who manufactures it?

It's Spring Valley Magnesium Dietary Supplement 400mg. I just bought it earlier after reading all the good results people have had with it. I was also wondering since I've been reading about the epsom salt and the difference between using or taking a teaspoon of epsom salt versus Magnesium Supplements.

Thanks!

I get mine from a store called Grocery Outlet. It costs me $1.99 a bottle, and they are 500 mg. I tried taking the epsom salts....they didn't work for me. I think the capsules/tablets are easier to digest.

My question is whether or not it is Citrate, Oxide, Chelated, etc. There are many different types of magnesium. Some are easier to absorb than others.
You might have to look on the label for ingredients

As far as Epsom Salts... you wouldn't be getting very much magnesium that way. It is my belief that I want to get the purest form of the mineral possible, if that is what I am deficient in. This is why the ionic works best for me.

I have taken vitamine C, D and calcium w/ magneseum vitamins for two years now to help combat osteoperosis.
It has been documented that long term use AEDs can speed up osteoperosis.
I take Calcium/magnesium 333mg twice a day. (the magnesium helps the Calcium get into the bones) ~ Life brand purchased at Wal Mart.

Randy

Randy, I didn't know that about the connection with E and oestoposis.
I am new to seizures, but have pretty severe oestoposis...but I cannot take any of the new oestroposis meds due to bone/joint/nerve pain from them. I am just taking Calicium and trying to get more dairy in my diet

My question is whether or not it is Citrate, Oxide, Chelated, etc. There are many different types of magnesium. Some are easier to absorb than others.
You might have to look on the label for ingredients

As far as Epsom Salts... you wouldn't be getting very much magnesium that way. It is my belief that I want to get the purest form of the mineral possible, if that is what I am deficient in. This is why the ionic works best for me.

Robin the type of Magnesium that I bought was Chelated Zinc. What is the main difference between the three? Thanks for responding!

As far as the osteoporosis is concerned that is one thing that my doctor told me about five years ago and as a result I have exercised more with weight lifting and also taking calcium supplements and believe it or not the last time I had a bone scan they said that my bone density was really good! And that is also with drinking coffee every day. (I have to have my caffeine fix in the AM!!!)

Chelated magnesium Annie, is one of the better absorbed forms. Yours must have the added benefit of Zinc. So my next question to you would be, how much magnesium is in that 400 mg tablet and how much zinc? Are there any fillers added in the ingredients?

My daughter takes 1000 mg magnesium daily. Her body seems to do well on this amount. When she see loser stools I back off to 750 mg. Constipation is an issue, and magnesium is very helpful. I have run into many parents that see this as an issue that triggers seizures.

There is a great thread here on magnesium...

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/magnesium-1300/

Last edited:
Robin,

The Magensium that I purchased said to take 3 pills to equal the 400 mg. As far as the zinc is concerned I'm not sure. I'm at work and I don't remember what the bottle said. Although I do take zinc on a daily basis since it increases immunity (so I can reduce the chance of getting colds.) I'm at work and I don't remember what the bottle said.
I'm also taking a B complex vitamin, along with Omega 3 supplements, multi-vitamin, calcium supplements valerian root, and Acai Berry which is a strong antioxidant and I think that's it. And of course my medication. I probably seem like I'm taking whole pharmacy full of meds!! I am just trying to find as many products as possible to help out my epilepsy. So far I've been feeling really well so time will tell what will happen and hopefully it will stay positve....;-)

Yes my daughter is also loaded up with supplements.
Glad to hear that you are feeling well. Posititive thoughts sent your way

Back
Top Bottom