Have You Ever Had One Of Those Teachers?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Weevie

New
Reaction score
Have You Ever Had One Of Those Teachers?

I don’t hold many fond memories of my school days mostly because it was riddled with fits and every body bullied me because of it. Anyway there was one chapter in my life though when it wasn’t just the other children but also one particular teacher.

When I first saw this teacher in the school she was fine until one day I had a fit and she was there. After that every time I passed her in the corridor or the play ground she tried too put as much distance between us both. This continued for the first two years of primary and every time I saw her she looked at me as if I was a bigger freak then ever.

However when I got to the fourth year of primary school I was told that she was to be my teacher for the next year; GREAT!! I thought.

Right from day one she had it in for me. “I want you to sit here at the front of the class, I need to keep an eye on you we can’t have you wondering around disrupting other classes can we?” I hadn’t had a fit at that time for at least six months but anyway I just agreed with her.

The way she conducted her lessons meant that we sat boy then girl, boy then girl right around the class. She sat me next to what she thought was the brightest girl in the class at the front, she thought that she will be able to deal with anything. I didn’t have any fits all that year but that didn’t stop her hating me and she never let me forget who I was. When we used to go into the swimming pool she was more concerned about me getting changed than what she was when I was swimming. “Are you sure you can dress yourself?” she would say but when I went into the pool she would look the other way.

I was good at maths in school and when we used to have to do sums off the blackboard I always got them right, there was only me and this girl sat next to me who did. This led her to believe that I must be copying off her so she announced to the class “I have caught someone here copying so I am going to break my beliefs and sit him next to a boy.” She sat me next to the thickest boy in the class. However the next time she did her board work I still got them all right and the girl got about 3 wrong. This really narked her and she sent me to the headmaster for breaking wind. The Headmaster laughed and just said “Don’t do it again.”

This continued for the whole year and when I asked her if I could play the trumpet in her brass band she told me that I would disrupt everybody else. This was her pride and joy, at the end of every year she did a brass band performance in front of all the parents and even charged 20p per ticket to go to charity. Her performance was rapidly approaching and she told the class that she liked all of her pupils who where in her class at the time to help out doing something on the night. She looked at me and said “You can help pull the curtains back stage then you won’t disrupt anybody”. I never said anything.

The night arrived and I was backstage with 3 other Boys pulling the curtains. I was chewing on some bubble gum and had loads of it in my pockets and one of the other boys had some as well but his was a different type to mine. Boys been boys we challenged each other who could blow the biggest bubble so I filled my mouth with about ten pieces and was blowing bubbles bigger than my face.
It was the break and we had to shut the curtains whilst the next performance was ready and one of the boys said to me “I bet you daren’t go out there and blow one!”
So I thought whose concert it was and went straight onto the stage and in front of about 200 parents stood there and blew one of the biggest bubbles you have ever seen. The place roared with laughter I got the loudest cheer of the night and I remember everybody standing and pointing at me. This made her turn around and look at me. I still PMS when I think of the look of horror on her face.

The next day when I went back to school she was in a rage with me.
“You God Damn Thing!!” “I hated you before; You have broken this whole schools reputation I knew I shouldn’t have allowed you to help out, you have destroyed everything. How can I do this performance next year now you must go and apologise to the other two teachers who where there. I hope that they can find it in there heart to forgive you! it will cost charities money.”

I went to the first teacher she blasted off at me in the same way and she did manage to really upset me. When she had finished I left her room visibly shaken and went back to see her. She could see that I was very upset but said “I haven’t finished with you yet go apologise to the other teacher as well!!”

I set off my legs where shaking and I got to her door trying not to cry. She saw me and said “What is the matter?” I told her why I had come she said
“You are a Hero!! Those bloody stupid concerts she can’t play the damn thing anyway and if you hadn’t brought it to life a bit then I think everybody would have gone home. Did she really say that she would not be doing it next year?” “Trust me you are a real hero no teacher dare tell her how bad she really is and laugh I don’t think I have ever laughed so much in my life!!”

I went back feeling wonderful and she saw me “Have you learnt your lesson??”
“DEFINITELY”!!

LOL

There never was another concert.

School is lousy when ignorant bullies make your life miserable. And it's that much worse when a teacher is an ignorant bully too. I'm glad your story has a happy ending Weevie!

I also had a miserable time in high school so I like stories like that !

My E didn't start until I was 20, but some other issues made me rather awkward and not very popular. I had a Junior High teacher who should have lost his job for the way he treated me. He actually made up a little "poem" about me that followed me through most of high school. He would "sing" this right in the front of the whole class.

Being somewhat shy at the time, I just took it and never told my parents about it. What he did to me just fueled others to ridicule me for absolutely no reason. Other than not being very athletic, I was a rather smart student, participated in many things, and had a nice core group of friends. He had no reason to do this other than to get laughs from the other kids.

It wasn't until I was older and started meeting people who didn't have a preconceptions of me that I understood that I was a normal person. It was funny how the girls in school who ridiculed me changed their tone when I started dating a good looking girl from another town.

I am generally a very forgiving person. However to this day, 35 years later, I think I would have a very hard time not decking that teacher if I ever met him again.

:soap: I am off my soap box now. :soap:

Hmmmm....awful teachers....I had one when I was in secondary, an English teacher...Now at that point I was on the school's Gifted and Talented register, and was a member of Mensa. Unfortunately I was also suffering from undiagnosed seizures. He used to sit me facing the class wearing a dunce cap (they had been banned about 20yrs before I went to school!) because I didn't answer his quick fire questions, often because I had had a seizure and was post-ictal, although I didn't know that at the time. He also got me expelled from the school as he said I was always ignoring him for almost all of every lesson, and he couldn't tolerate such an ignorant rude person in his class. I actually had to move house and school. Looking back, there were 3 faulty fluorescent tubes in the classroom, and I was probably spending most of every lesson having CP seizures....

I remember one English teacher that didn't really seem to like me. If ever I didn't understand something I usually didn't ask for fear of being ridiculed. Finally one day I did ask a question (forget what it was) & the teacher refused to answer it because "nobody is that stupid".

I don't think I said another word in that class the rest of the semester.

Back
Top Bottom