Hello..

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Lunisis

New
Reaction score
Hi, I am really looking for advise.

My partner had a seizure recently in which he fell backwards and hit his head causing a small bleed. He doesn't remember anything of that whole morning.

He has had a seizure about 18 months previously, so there is now going to be investigation as to whether he has epilepsy. He is 28.

I'm really looking for advise on the after effects of a seizure and how to best support him.

Since the seizure 2 days ago he has been bed ridden with a massive headache (which I expect is due to hitting his head).
His eyes have always been sensitive to daylight, but this seems worse now, and all I've managed to get him to eat is a cheese sandwich. I'm keeping his fluids up (which he is getting cranky with me for doing so).

I guess I am just a little worried, and wonder how long it would normally take to recover, and what I can do to help him.

Hi Lunisis -- welcome to CWE!

It can take awhile to recover from a seizure. For me, it has varied from a few hours to a few weeks, depending on the circumstances. It's normal to lose memory of the time surrounding the seizure, and it's normal to feel out of it and foggy.

If you can get your partner to eat more than a cheese sandwich, that would be great -- low blood sugar will slow his recovery. What he's experiencing is akin to a nasty hangover, so if you know his "hangover foods" you might try them. If his mouth is sore, avoid acidic foods. If he can take ibuprofen, that will help with the headache, and if he's not overly-sensitive to caffeine, a little bit of tea can help with that too. Despite his crankiness (which may be related to the low-blood sugar), you're doing the right thing in pushing fluids.

I hope he feels better soon. If you or he has any questions, please feel free to check in again here.

Best,
Nakamova

Thank you, I guess I just needed some reassurance. I have tried giving him some of his favourite foods, but he's not interested. I shall persist.

Your help really is greatly appreciated :)

Back
Top Bottom