Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I can't begin to say how excited I am to find this site. I am 25 years old and I was diagnosed with Epilepsy in July 2012. I'm new to the whole thing and to be frank I'm scared out of my mind. I don't know anyone else who has Epilepsy. I'm sorry if I come off a bit mopey, I'm overwhelmed by the whole thing. I just recently had to up my Keppra dosage from 750mg 2x daily to 1000mg 2x daily... as I had two Grand Mal seizures in as many days and I'm currently studying abroad in Turkey a fair few miles from my family is Los Angeles. Mostly, I just want to talk to someone who understands, silly... but true. So, please, feel free to email. Drop a line to say hello or whatever.

I'm excited to meet everyone.

Thanks,

Mary

Hi,

Glad you found this forum. You will find people who is understanding be it Dr., Meds. side effects.

I think it's normal for you to feel overwhelmed, it has't been that long since you were diagn.

We all react diff. to diff. meds.

Are you keeping a seizures dairy? This is most helpful when trying to remember your seizures. Any triggers lack of sleep, infection/flu, stress, there are many others. This will help your Dr. in treating you also.

Ask any questions and I hope you get the help that I've had on this forum.

Hello! :)

jyearta, I hadn't been keeping a seizure diary until recently. I'm in Turkey and the doctor I'm seeing here suggested it. My doctor at home didn't even mention it. Thank you so much for the advice.

Thank you so much for the hellos and the encouragement. For the first time since this whole thing started I feel like I'm not entirely alone and that makes a huge difference.

You`ll never be alone here, ive gone from someone hates me, the world hates me too having some the greatest friends ever even if it is just online wonderful people here many stories and lots advice!!

Hi mary, just wanted to add my welcome to the others!

Best,
Nakamova

Welcome Mary. A lot of members seem to express similar sentiments as you, of going through periods of loneliness, knowing no one who really understands what you're going through. Indeed that's one of the great things about CWE, even though I know my family are looking out for me, at times I've wondered if they were skeptical when I expressed my feelings to them. But you feel a greater degree of confidence that people will be on your wave length here, naturally.

By the way, I saw a very fine movie from Turkey last year. It was called 'Uzak', directed by Nuri Bilge Ceylan - not sure if you're familiar with his work? His most known feature I think is 'Once upon a time in Anatolia', but Uzak is a portrait of two isolated men living in Istanbul trying to find purpose and meaning in their lives.

Last edited:
Thank you Jeff. That's it exactly... My family has been so supportive of me. My Mom was with me when I had my first seizure, it scared the heck out of her. They are my rock in all this, but I feel a disconnect from them. It's been difficult, but it is really comforting to see everyone on here... talking to one another, sharing information, encouraging and supporting each other, it's kind of beautiful.

I haven't seen 'Uzak', I will have to watch it. Thanks! I love movies and I'm always on the look out for new ones. :)

Hey mary, so today is my first day on this site. and im still learning how to use this thingy. anyways my name is Tanya and i found out i had epilepsy when i was 17. i also have grand mal seizures. (which bloody suck) and im taken the same amount of keppra. but i noticed lately ive been having a ton of seizures.. or twitching non-stop. which is really annoying and scary! I can usually tell when im about to have one. but there are those times when i just randomly go into one. errr.. having grand mal seizures are sooo painful. and im really sorry to hear that you have them to. well if you ever want to chat im here for you. xxx

Hi Tanya,

I wish you good health and that things get better. I means a lot to me that you understand, that everyone understands. Its been a long couple of days. I had another seizure on Thursday and it knocked me flat. I had to take the day off from classes to recover. This is an amazing site, full of people who understand what its like to live with Epilepsy. So if there is anything I can do, feel free to message and welcome! :)
-Mary

aww thank you so much for getting back to me. and =( im so sorry to hear that you had a seizure on thursday. err that sucks. yeah i sadly dont know to many people that have seizures. so this site will help me out alot. my husband and i really want to start a family soon. and im terrified of having babys. its bad enough that i nearly had a seizure infront of my step son.. but ahh i cant imagine ending up having one infront of my kid. its so scary. i have no idea how my husband deals with seeing me go threw seizures. that would kill me to see someone do. =-/ so mary do you have any kids?

I'm excited for you and your husband on starting a family. What a wonderful undertaking! I wish you so much luck! I don't have any kids. I'm working on completing a PhD so not much time for family. Plus, like you, I'm terrified of of having a seizure in front of a kid, I had my first seizure in front of my mother, so I've seen it from the other side... it scares me beyond belief, but honestly I wish you all the good things as you and your husband start a family. :)

Back
Top Bottom