Hello

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi, my first known seizure was in December 2014 while with my then over the road truck driver fiance. He called 911, found out I had a benign meningioma tumor the size of a softball that I've had at least 5 years and was told without brain surgery I would be going downhill within 3 weeks and not live too long, so they did the surgery and I was put on keppra. Didn't have anymore seizures until around May 2016, I had became suicidal after being stressed for months and keppra being blamed for marital problems so I quit taking it, had a seizure 5 days later, started taking it again ( not like I was supposed to be) and had a seizure every month to every other month. My husband didn't want me on keppra, my neurologist put me on lamictal October 2016 and December 2016, then another one in February 2017 which I was conscious through half of it (first time that happened) and it became more frequent after that. Dr doubled my lamictal which was causing overdosing. Got a new Dr who put me back on keppra. Now I have bad anxiety, on celexa. Been off of lamictal for about 3 weeks now. Since I started being conscious through half of it, it's been harder for me to live with it. Throughout the day everyday I feel depersonalization?

Hi whisper,
Welcome to CWE! Everyone here has been a great help to me and I've had seizures for 46 yrs. along with 2 surgeries to help reduce my seizures. Just like you I was on keppra and the drug gave me such a hot temper and it increased my seizures like crazy so my Epileptologist took me off the drug and put me on vimpat and that has helped reduce my seizures but what has helped me more than anything is the cbd oil (medical marijuana).
I've had many different neuros over the yrs. but I feel I got the best help when I started to see a Epileptologist which is a Dr. who specializes in epilepsy. This Dr. was able to find the cause of my seizures along with put me on the least amount of meds to control my seizures.

I have read that in some cases a tumor can trigger seizures and I'm sorry this happened to you. I have a cousin who had a tumor but this was back in the late 1960's before they had all the medical technology they do today so she didn't make it.
I will tell you that depression is one part of epilepsy and a lot of it has to do with the meds along with the area of the brain that is triggering the seizures. Another thing that has really triggered seizures for me is when the hormones change each month so if you haven't started keeping track of your seizures get a calendar and write down what time you have any seizures along with the type of seizure you have, also write down when you start and stop your monthly cycle. By doing this your neuro may see a pattern in your seizures as to what time of day/night they happen and what days of the month. I always have seizures between the 18th-25th of each month and my Dr. told me it was all hormone related. Also take note if you have more seizures when there's a low pressure in the weather because that can effect some people because the air is heavier and in turn the heavier air effects the hormones for some people. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hey whisper, welcome!

There are a lot of anti-seizure meds in addition to Keppra and Lamictal -- if neither of those meds have been a good match you should ask your doctor about other options.

Have they done any *thorough* EEGs to determine what type of and where the seizures are coming from? They need to properly diagnose the seizures so they can determine what meds are appropriate for your treatment. As Nakamova has stated, there are many meds available, Lamictal and Keppra are not the only ones. It sounds like you need to try other options and maybe find a doctor who actually cares to treat you.

Hello Whisper,
Sounds like you are going through a tough time. I know making changes to meds on your own is not so good and changing doctors who are changing your meds sounds not so good, too. I have changed doctors but found you really need to stand up for yourself. Research medications and your health and ask others like you are here. I had deperonalization when I was taking a certain medication and felt really awful. What do you think needs to happen for things to turn around? I've taken Keppra and had a horrible time with it as have others I've talked to but waited for the dr to give me something that worked. Be careful!! Many prayers for you. Jeanne

Back
Top Bottom